"Onwards in Central Vietnam" Hoi An by Gillybob
Hoi An Travel Guide: 819 reviews and 1,764 photos
After lunch in Da Nang, we head to Hoi an, stopping on the way at a Vietnamese handicraft workshop where we get to see silk worms being reared to produce silk. They spend three days eating and then one day sleeping for three cycles and then they eat until at 24 days they produce their silk cocoon which is then placed into boiling water and spun outto produce silk threads.
We then head to our first hotel in Vietnam with a pool and its great to be able to have a swim after so many hot, sticky days. In the evening we have dinner on a roof-terrace restaurant where we have beef in clay pots which is cooked and then placed into the pots before fuel is lit in a saucer at the base of the pot to re-heat the beef.
Today we take a city tour of old Hoi An town. We start with the Congregation House of Phu Kien which has wonderful Chinese influeced architecture. As we walk through the old streets of Hoi An, we pass another Chinese congregational house.
Then its on to the Japanese bridge and Bac De's altar before walking on to the floating market.
We check out of our hotel and then start the drive to Hue. On the way we stop in Da Nang at a Cham sculpture workshop and then at the Cham museum. There are lots of sculptures of Shiva, Vishnu and Ganesha. Afterwards we head over Hai Van Pass and stop for a paddle at Lang Co Beach before carrying on to Hue where our hotel has an enclosed rooftop pool.
- Pros:Whilst we only had a short stay it was great to have a pool
- Cons:None I can think of
- In a nutshell:Vietnam of old
Gillybob's Related Pages
Hoi An Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On the Embodiment of Vietnam: Hoi An"
- "Hoi An 22/3/08 to 25/3/08"
- "A charming piece of History"
- "UNESCO HERITAGE Site..a Vietnamese HIGHLIGHT..."
- "The old town of Hoi An"
- "A living museum - Hoi An, Central Vietnam"
- "Vietnam's Living Museum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hoi An
- Hotels in Hoi An
- Transportation in Hoi An
- Nightlife in Hoi An
- Restaurants in Hoi An
- Shopping in Hoi An
- Warnings and Dangers in Hoi An
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hoi An
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Hoi An?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hoi An
Top 10 Pages
- Bergamo Intro, 47 reviews, 182 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 16 reviews, 83 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dolgellau Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos, 4 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 20 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sowerby Bridge Intro, 19 reviews, 61 photos
- Orlando Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos
- Darwin Intro, 6 reviews, 62 photos, 7 travelogues
- Albuquerque Intro, 14 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barbados Intro, 16 reviews, 47 photos