"Onwards in Central Vietnam" Hoi An by Gillybob

Hoi An Travel Guide: 802 reviews and 1,717 photos

Da Nang to Hoi an

After lunch in Da Nang, we head to Hoi an, stopping on the way at a Vietnamese handicraft workshop where we get to see silk worms being reared to produce silk. They spend three days eating and then one day sleeping for three cycles and then they eat until at 24 days they produce their silk cocoon which is then placed into boiling water and spun outto produce silk threads.

We then head to our first hotel in Vietnam with a pool and its great to be able to have a swim after so many hot, sticky days. In the evening we have dinner on a roof-terrace restaurant where we have beef in clay pots which is cooked and then placed into the pots before fuel is lit in a saucer at the base of the pot to re-heat the beef.

Short Day in Hoi An

Today we take a city tour of old Hoi An town. We start with the Congregation House of Phu Kien which has wonderful Chinese influeced architecture. As we walk through the old streets of Hoi An, we pass another Chinese congregational house.

Then its on to the Japanese bridge and Bac De's altar before walking on to the floating market.

We check out of our hotel and then start the drive to Hue. On the way we stop in Da Nang at a Cham sculpture workshop and then at the Cham museum. There are lots of sculptures of Shiva, Vishnu and Ganesha. Afterwards we head over Hai Van Pass and stop for a paddle at Lang Co Beach before carrying on to Hue where our hotel has an enclosed rooftop pool.

• Pros:Whilst we only had a short stay it was great to have a pool
  • Cons:None I can think of
  • In a nutshell:Vietnam of old
  • Last visit to Hoi An: Nov 2005
  • Intro Written Aug 21, 2006

• starship's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Wow, great introduction and travelogue! Great hotel tip!

• dancinbudgie's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Great pic of the hotel! Looks fabulous!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Haha..I was over on your side of the hills earlier today (at Chester Zoo), and I can vouch for the grey skies! I'm sure it was sunny all day in Yorkshire! ;-) I've been working hard all summer...so I'm due a few winter trips! ;-)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2007 at 11:36 PM

The architecture of the hotel looks great!

• airasia's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2007 at 7:07 AM

traffic cause just by bicycles ! seriously who will not be shock : ) but still the place is all good.

Gillybob