"African Adventure" Ouzoud by Rumaus

Ouzoud Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 72 photos

A New Culture

My first visit to Morocco was the summer following my year living and studing in Russia, so needless to say it was very intense. The cultural differences between America-Russia- and Morocco are vast, so jumping from place to place has always been an adjustment, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

In Morocco I have found a culture and society that has brought me closer to understanding people who are usually misread by the West. I have found Moroccan women to be some of the most generous and kind people I have met, and I have found the culture here in Northern Africa to be so unique and warm.

In Summer 2005, my boyfriend and I traveled all over Morocco, from Tangier to Marrakesh and in between, but mainly lived in Ouzoud with his family and sometimes Rabat with his brother.

Morocco is a great way to experience the Arabic and Berber culture, while still having a European influence as to not shock you completely.

Studying in Ifrane

My second trip to Morocco happened in December 2005 after spending a semester back in America. After Russia and Morocco, it was very difficult for me to adjust back to the States, so after just four monthes I decided it was in my best interest to study abroad again, and this time I chose Morocco because I felt comfortable there and wanted something new and different.

Since I have studied physical anthropology for years now, my courses here are mainly in that field, although I am also trying to learn Arabic. I am in love with Islamic art and architecture now, and am even thinking of studying it more in the future.

• Last visit to Ouzoud: Apr 2006
  • Intro Written Apr 26, 2006

Comments

Rumaus Visits Here Frequently!

Rumaus

“The time to hesitate is through.”

Ranked Member