"Garden Paradise in West Cork" Bantry by WhispersWest
Bantry Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 32 photos
Palm Trees, semi-tropical flowers, no, you aren't in the Bahamas, you are in Bantry, Co Cork, Ireland.
The first time I came to Bantry, I wasn't sure where to look first, the bright blue sea beckoned me, the mountain streams sang to me and the mountain ridges called out for me to climb up and take a seat. It seemed that the sky and the landscape changed with every breeze, shifting of the sun and gilding of the clouds.
Bantry is divided into three main areas corresponding with the peninsulas i.e. The Beara Peninsula, The Sheep's Head or in Irish (Muintir Bhaire) Peninsula and The Mizen Peninsula. These extend south-west in the Atlantic up to 30 miles.
The climate is very mild with moist Atlantic breezes giving a medium to heavy rainfall. The influence of the Gulf Stream of warm sea water has a pronounced effect on the climate allowing the growth of semi-topical vegetation and foliage which can be savoured in the many gardens both private and public. The rest of the terrain is occupied by parallel ridges running through the various peninsulae to the sea - mainly in an north-east/south-west direction, valleys, hidden glens, hills, fast running rivers, woods and forests.
The Bantry Bay area is rich in sites of historical and archeological interest, from wedge tombs, which are thousands of years old. The Kilnaruane Pillar Stone, The Kealkil Stone Circle, the Breenymore Megalithes and the Ahakista Stone Circle being the more accessible near Bantry.
- Pros:Great for Walking & Cycling;Warm & Inviting Locals;Fantastic Gardens, Un paralelled scenery
- In a nutshell:Ireland's Eden
We stayed in the Self Catering Apartment for a week. It was aground floor unit, which meant that I didn't have to... more travel advice
WhispersWest's Related Pages
Bantry Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bantry Bay"
- "Garden Paradise in West Cork"
- "Bantry Beauty"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bantry
- Hotels in Bantry
- Transportation in Bantry
- Restaurants in Bantry
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bantry
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Bantry?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bantry
Photos in BantrySee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Roscommon Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Doolin Intro, 5 reviews, 10 photos
- Cork Intro, 10 reviews, 3 photos
- Clonakilty Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Skibbereen Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ennis Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Galway Intro, 5 reviews, 2 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derry/Londonderry Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Bantry Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Youghal Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos