"Kilronan, You Call Me Home" Kilronan by WhispersWest

Kilronan Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 56 photos

Kilronan, Inis Mor, Island of Solace

From the first time I saw Inis Mor in pictures, I knew her. From the first time I stepped on to the pier in Kilronan, Inis Mor owned me.

No matter where I am scheduled into for performances in Ireland, I must always, first, travel across the water to Kilronan and Inis Mor.

How strange is it that in a place without Kith or Kin, I feel most at home here? I feel an instant stress depletion as I slip out of Doolin Bay and head towards Kilronan's Harbor.

My first glimpse of pony carts sent a shiver through me the like of which I hadn't felt since a small child on Christmas morn.

The language of the Islands, Irish, was the language of the lullabies I had heard as a child. That evening, sitting in our B&B, I sang songs with Maura, one of the owners, in Irish and felt my Gran's presence.

Here the Warriors Speak

I finally made it up to Dun Aengus this year. For those of you considering it, it is quite a hike and the rocks are slippery. That being said, it is worth the added exertion as long as you take your time.

While I enjoyed Dun Aengus and marveled at its stone structure, the natural defenses set in place and the timelessness on experiences in such places, I found it a bit too crowded for my taste.

I found that Dún Dúchathair (The Black Fort) was less overrun with tourists. There was a deeper energy and, though an exerting walking in its own right, I felt restful there. It is a walled enclosure surrounded on three sides by cliffs with intricate designs in the stonework.

There are two other stone forts on the island, Dún Eochla, is made up of two almost perfectly circular walls standing at the highest point on the island. You'll have to hike through some fields to get up to it. The final fort is Dún Eoghanachta, located south of the main road near Sruthán, most interesting for the remains of the clocháin (dry-stone, beehive huts) that it encloses

• Last visit to Kilronan: Jul 2006
  • Intro Written Nov 13, 2006

Comments

WhispersWest Visits Here Frequently!

WhispersWest

“Maireann cro� �adrom i bhfad. (A light heart lives long)”

Badges & Stats in Kilronan

Have you been to Kilronan?

Latest Activity in Kilronan