"Kinsale - Gourmand's Delight" Kinsale by WhispersWest

Kinsale Travel Guide: 183 reviews and 378 photos

Food, Glorious Food!!

The Devine family has a reputation for traveling on our stomaches. Most of our trip retellings are peppered with "Oh, and remember that little restaurant we found in....."

As much as I enjoy food, you would think that I might weigh more than the 132# my last trip to the doctor indicated. I am certain that would have been the case after my three day visit in Kinsale. My only disappointment was in not being able to eat the seafood, as I am highly allergic. My companions fell on the sword and made the sacrifice. They assured me that every morsel of seafood they tasted was sublime. The Kinsale Chefs insist upon the highest quality of locally produced meat, vegetables and dairy produce. Food is taken seriously here - an annual Gourmet Festival is organised each October and a Good Food Circle works to maintain the town's famously high culinary standards.

Kinsale's long tradition as a wine importer to Ireland, (it had it's own vessels in the Vintage fleet), may be one of the reasons it is now the Gourmet capital of the country. Desmond Castle is well worth a visit. Once the customs house, it is now the international museum of wine.

• Pros:Good Food, Excellent Farmer's Markets, Friendly Locals
  • Cons:Can be crowded in High season and on Bank Holidays; Narrow streets
  • In a nutshell:KInsale, a delight for the senses and the soul!
  • Last visit to Kinsale: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 1, 2007

Comments

WhispersWest Visits Here Frequently!

WhispersWest

“Maireann cro� �adrom i bhfad. (A light heart lives long)”

Badges & Stats in Kinsale

Have you been to Kinsale?

Latest Activity in Kinsale