"Frozen in Time - Yet thoroughly Modern" Skibbereen by WhispersWest
Skibbereen Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 55 photos
Skibbereen was a "faery-led" find. Our plan had been to drive the west coast of Cork in search of the Ruins of one of our trip mate's ancestral home. We stopped in for a bite and found ourselves still there three hours later, wandering her streets, searching every small shop for treasures and sharing conversations with many of her citizens. I think I know most of the pups there by name, as well!
Though we still had plenty of daylight left, we decided that a long drive back to Doolin was not something we found ideal. We asked in a local shop for a good recommendation for a B&B. They not only had one in mind, probably a family member, but called ahead and made sure they could accommodate all of us. I guess the might have also been a town crier of sorts, as we were welcomed heartily at the first pub we came into as the Cowboy singers. After assuring the Pub owner that we would be back to join in on the Trad session after we found our B&B, he actually had someone to go along and shw us the way!
The trad session was fabulous and the B&B was a nice, bracing ten minute walk back, albeit very dark.
I think that we could have taken a week there and not lacked for a pub to play in or a new discovery to make. It felt like we had stepped back into a slower paced era much removed from the distractions and uproar of today's world. My photographic eye was constantly moving from brightly colored building to the next, searching for that one truly great shot. The dilemma was that they were all truly great shots!
This was a delightful way to learn about the history of Skibbbereen. The museum presents its unvarnished history in a... more travel advice
Don't let the name fool you. This pub has been around since the 19th century. We chose the pub after more than one shop... more travel advice
WhispersWest's Related Pages
Skibbereen Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Skibbereen
- Hotels in Skibbereen
- Nightlife in Skibbereen
- Restaurants in Skibbereen
- Warnings and Dangers in Skibbereen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Skibbereen
- 5 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Skibbereen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Skibbereen
Photos in SkibbereenSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Roscommon Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Doolin Intro, 5 reviews, 10 photos
- Cork Intro, 10 reviews, 3 photos
- Clonakilty Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Skibbereen Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ennis Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Galway Intro, 5 reviews, 2 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derry/Londonderry Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bantry Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Youghal Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos