"Frozen in Time - Yet thoroughly Modern" Skibbereen by WhispersWest

Skibbereen Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 41 photos

Slow down and Enjoy the People of Skibbereen

Skibbereen was a "faery-led" find. Our plan had been to drive the west coast of Cork in search of the Ruins of one of our trip mate's ancestral home. We stopped in for a bite and found ourselves still there three hours later, wandering her streets, searching every small shop for treasures and sharing conversations with many of her citizens. I think I know most of the pups there by name, as well!

Though we still had plenty of daylight left, we decided that a long drive back to Doolin was not something we found ideal. We asked in a local shop for a good recommendation for a B&B. They not only had one in mind, probably a family member, but called ahead and made sure they could accommodate all of us. I guess the might have also been a town crier of sorts, as we were welcomed heartily at the first pub we came into as the Cowboy singers. After assuring the Pub owner that we would be back to join in on the Trad session after we found our B&B, he actually had someone to go along and shw us the way!

The trad session was fabulous and the B&B was a nice, bracing ten minute walk back, albeit very dark.

I think that we could have taken a week there and not lacked for a pub to play in or a new discovery to make. It felt like we had stepped back into a slower paced era much removed from the distractions and uproar of today's world. My photographic eye was constantly moving from brightly colored building to the next, searching for that one truly great shot. The dilemma was that they were all truly great shots!

• Last visit to Skibbereen: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 26, 2007

Comments

WhispersWest Visits Here Frequently!

WhispersWest

“Maireann cro� �adrom i bhfad. (A light heart lives long)”

Badges & Stats in Skibbereen

Have you been to Skibbereen?

Latest Activity in Skibbereen