"From Textile Center to Resort Haven" Top 5 Page for this destination Youghal by WhispersWest

Youghal Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 26 photos

Youghal - where folk have frolicked for Centuries

Youghal is a fabulous town on the coast of East Cork. It is a walled seaport and claims a 5km long blue flag beach, which is fabulous! Even though we were there in July, the gardens throughout the town were still stunning. It seemed as if everywhere I looked there were flowers bursting into bloom!

THere is so much to see and do in Youghal. I know that we only grazed the surface as we only had a day and a half in the area. It is now on my list of places that I want to spend a week in exploring. I look at my list and realize that I will need two things, a lottery win and a year in Ireland to allow for all of the "must spend a week in" places.

Youghal has so much to offer that it is not surprising that it has been the destination of choice for those looking for a respite for centuries. Whilst thoroughly modern, it still retains the old world charm in its narrow streets, side alleys, ruins and monuments, and historic buildings. It was designated as a Heritage Port because of its well preserved sites. Tynte Castle was a treasure to see. St Mary's Cathedral drew me into her churchyard like a moth to a flame.

The people of Youghal are so very friendly. They were eager to engage in conversation and to be helpful in sending us off to see something "not on the map", which usually was a better experience than we what we had planned.

I can understand why this pleasant seaside town has been a favorite for so many years and through so many trying times. It certainly has become a favorite of mine!

• Pros:Sense of Place and history; many monuments; friendly people
  • Cons:streets can get congested
  • In a nutshell:Youghal, the Seaport with the heart of Ireland
  • Last visit to Youghal: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 28, 2013

WhispersWest Visits Here Frequently!

WhispersWest

“Maireann cro� �adrom i bhfad. (A light heart lives long)”

Badges & Stats in Youghal

Have you been to Youghal?

Latest Activity in Youghal