"A real foreigners view of Bosnia and Croatia" Travnik by Bosnia2005traveler

Travnik Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 88 photos

The Long Trip there

I went to Bosnia for the first time in 2005 with my boyfriend who was born and raised there.

We flew from San Francisco CA, to Chicago IL, to Paris, Zagreb. We were suppose to go from Zagreb in Croatia to Sarajevo but when we were there visiting the Sarajevo airport was closed at the time.

So the airline had arranged for the bus to take us from Zagreb to Travnik (Bosnia) ....well at least that is what we though. Turns out that the bus did not want to travel all the way to Travnik since because he was already running late, yet he found time to stop for coffee and a couple of cigarettes along the way.....But I digress.

So instead the bus driver dropped me and my boyfriend and 4 other travels off at gas station. Not exactly what you would expect to happen here in America if one of our airlines were closed but I guess that what them mean by this is not America!

Travnik

We stayed with his parent in a one bedroom apartment in Travnik the town of Travnik is very small compared to the bigger cities such as Sarajevo. Since I was a black person visiting Travnik I have to that a LOT of people stared. Not just quick little glances, but actually nudges the person next to you to take a look at the stranger. Minus the staring the people were very nice, everyone knew my boyfriend since he lived there up until 1997.

One of the first things you notice is all the little wonderful stores that sell fresh bread. Unlike here in America were people will go shopping once or twice a week shopping for food is something you do daily which is why the stores are so close less then 100 feet away. We had our regular store right out side his parents apartment building With some of the BEST vegetables and fruit I have ever tasted ( no chemicals) and everything is so inexpensive!!!! Sorry Photo is fuzzy but when you double click on it, it is viewable

Experiencing the city.

There is so much to see and do in Bosnia that I could not possible sum it all up here in these chapeter so please check out all my reviews and suggestions....Thanks!

• Pros:very cheap prices, friendly people, excellent coffee, very relaxed laid back place
  • Cons:SMOKE-everyone does it. Small town, bad roads, bars are for teenagers
  • Last visit to Travnik: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 23, 2006

Bosnia2005traveler

“To give a real foreigners view of Bosnia and Croatia”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Travnik

Have you been to Travnik?

Latest Activity in Travnik