"Two sides of the city" Naples by Turska
Naples Travel Guide: 1,218 reviews and 2,999 photos
First time we visited Napoli (from Sorrento) we only walked from railwaystaion to archeological museum, and came back by some sidesteets. Then it was a dark and cold windy day, we found ourselves at dirty streets and graffiti at walls, and saw some of those "famous" rubbish on the streets. That´s when we thought we are lucky to stay at Sorrento by nights. Next time we walked pass the archeological museum and went to catacombs di San Gennaro. When we left the place, the guide from catacombs showed us a "easy way back", witch wasn´t so. The streets weren´t at any of my three maps, and we saw that kind of poor people and not so friendly looking guys at very dirty skid rows. Lots of beggars or men selling (stolen) things at carboard tables. I have no outside photos from those first two visits, I didn´t feel comfortable taking my camera out in those places. When we went to Napoli third and the last time we saw something different. It was finally a warm sunny day, and we saw clean streets (Like Via Toledo) and lots of polices, and I finally took outside ohtos also. I even thought that maybe we should have stayed at Napoli, at this side of the town.
Just like in Milano, where it is called Galleria Vittorio Emanuele, Galleria Umberto had quite fancy shops, nothing for cheap budget travellers. Allthough I think I saw Mango or Zara or something like that. But the building itself is worth visiting. I love the roofs of these places. They are so beautyful to my eyes! Too bad that new shopping centres are nothing like that.. Or maybe this is even too nice to be s shopping centre.
..with clotheslines hanging over. This is not even a good sample, but I didn´t feel like taking photos at the most narrow ones. I saw local people looking at tourist and felt like they were thinking"Why on earth do they allways film these kind of things.."..
Maybe I just thought so, but anyway, this street is closer to Via Toledo.
- Pros:Nice areas near the castles, and the best pizza!
- Cons:Skid rows with rubbish and beggars at the other side.
- In a nutshell:Don´t leave without tasting a great pizza!
We had seen some catacombs in Malta year earlier, but these were much bigger. The guide said, it is because the stone... more travel advice
It has been so cold before, that we didn´t dare to try ice cream until the last day of our trip. Too bad, when Italian... more travel advice
Turska's Related Pages
Naples Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "guide to the hidden Naples"
- "Benvenuti a Napoli!!"
- "A city in perpetual motion"
- "NAPLES – the treasure of Campania!!!"
- "Naples....Sun, Aromas and Tastes"
- "The lively, frenetic and visceral city of Naples"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Naples
- Hotels in Naples
- Transportation in Naples
- Nightlife in Naples
- Restaurants in Naples
- Shopping in Naples
- Warnings and Dangers in Naples
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Naples
- 5 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 72 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Naples?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Naples
- Posted in Travel Tallinn Forum "Place to eat at 50th wedding..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Catacombs di San Gennaro"
- Wrote a Review Catacombs di San Gennaro about Catacombs di San Gennaro in Naples Things to Do
- created a Naples Travel Page "Two sides of the city"
- Commented on one of leics's Naples travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampere Intro, 91 reviews, 123 photos
- Paris Intro, 36 reviews, 121 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 52 reviews, 94 photos
- Rome Intro, 50 reviews, 93 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 35 reviews, 107 photos
- Tallinn Intro, 23 reviews, 57 photos
- Turku Intro, 26 reviews, 41 photos
- Porto Intro, 20 reviews, 33 photos
- London Intro, 11 reviews, 33 photos
- Sintra Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos
Latest Naples hotel reviews
- Hotel Excelsior
- 139 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Hotel Europeo/Europeo Flowers
- 131 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Hotel Rex Napoli
- 107 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013
- Grand Hotel Oriente Naples
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Apartment Inkiostro
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 10, 2010
- Renaissance Naples Hotel Mediterraneo
- 165 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- La Controra Backpackers Hostel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- B&B La Bouganville Napoli
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 1, 2012
- Rainbow Bed & Breakfast
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Mar 30, 2013
- Ostello Mergellina
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Jolly Hotel Napoli
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Mercure Napoli Angioino Centro
- 93 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 24, 2013
- Hotel Napoli Centrale B&B
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2012
- Hotel des Artistes Naples
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 21, 2013
- Hotel Fontana Bleu
- 1 Review & Opinion