"THE CHANNEL ISLANDS, EUROPE" Saint Helier by jakiline
Saint Helier Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 74 photos
I just discovered there are Channel Islands in North America... Well the ones I visited are very near the Norman Coast ("département "La Manche").
They speak English, but local people still speak some French, or Local NORMAN language, which is taught at Caen University: the local laws are based on the ancient norman customs.
When leaving Saint-Helier harbour, we can read :
which is in French "A bientôt et à la prochaine fois" meaning "see you soon!"
From Normandy (Granville), we can sail to the Islands
From Brittany, we also can sail, or fly!
The island is divided into parishes. There are buses touring around the coast, and cars or cycles to hire as well.
The island is quite hilly in the centre, and the roads are narrow. There are line buses, and a good timetable to respect. My favorite was the Old Bus... a funny experience that leads to a vineyard farm.
The Channel Islands are British, though they have autonomy. The smallest Parliament is on Sercq island.
They have their own money which is not to use in the UK. But Bristish pound is welcome.
Though very near of the French coast, it is British time there.
- Pros:citylife, country life and seaside pleasures in a nutshell
- Cons:Beware fast drivers!
- In a nutshell:fifty-year old is quite enjoyable age in Saint Helier
jakiline's Related Pages
Saint Helier Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bonio's trip to St Helier"
- "St Helier, Jersey"
- "Saint Helier"
- "THE CHANNEL ISLANDS, EUROPE"
- "St Helier Jersey Channel Islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Helier
- Hotels in Saint Helier
- Transportation in Saint Helier
- Nightlife in Saint Helier
- Restaurants in Saint Helier
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Helier
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Saint Helier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Helier
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bayeux Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos
- Paris Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Liverpool Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- London Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Île de Ré Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Cannes Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Galway Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Cuzco Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Saint Helier Intro, 1 review, 4 photos