"Tokelau" Tokelau by ollyf
Tokelau Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 86 photos
The islands of Tokelau comprise one of the world's most hard-to-get-to destinations. In fact, it has been named as part of the "Holy Trinity" of isolated inhabited places, alongside Pitcairn Island and Tristan da Cunha.
Tokelau is officially a territory of New Zealand, and while it is also Polynesian, it shares nothing else with its governing land. Only 1,500 people inhabit these three atolls which are too small even for an airstrip to be built.
The only way to get to Tokelau is by sea, and if you don't have an ocean-going yacht, it means you have to get the infrequent MV Tokelau cargo boat from Apia, Samoa. The round-trip takes nine days and only happens twice a month, which is why so few people have visited this little-known paradise. In fact, official figures say Tokelau receives just TWENTY tourists per year. Perhaps that's just as well.
Being so far away and so difficult to get to is what attracted me to Tokelau. It promised to be an amazing adventure, and it was - everything from sleeping on deck through the high seas of the Pacific to swimming among coral pillars and just imbibing the atmosphere of being in a place where, should I have chosen to stay, nobody would ever have found me.
Tokelau is among the nations most at risk from the threat of rising sea levels. It lies flat on the sea level with... more travel advice
Mr Luciano Perez, the owner of the Luana Liki Hotel in Nukunonu, has a boat available for charter. He can take you to... more travel advice
- Some of the rarest stamps
- Bring any essentials
- See All Get permission to stay on uninhabited...
- See All Uninhabited islands
ollyf's Related Pages
Tokelau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "To Tokelau on Nauru's CenPac Rounder"
- "Hard reaching place"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tokelau
- Hotels in Tokelau
- Transportation in Tokelau
- Nightlife in Tokelau
- Restaurants in Tokelau
- Shopping in Tokelau
- Warnings and Dangers in Tokelau
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tokelau
- 38 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Tokelau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tokelau
Top 10 Pages
- Tokelau Intro, 38 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiribati Intro, 21 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination American Samoa Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nauru Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
- Cambodia Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Egypt Intro, 9 reviews
- Prestatyn Intro, 9 reviews
- Vanuatu Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 3 reviews, 1 photo
- Thailand Intro, 2 photos
Top Tokelau hotels
- Fakaofo Hotels
- See nearby hotels