"The one and only" Top 5 Page for this destination Nauru by ollyf

Nauru Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 46 photos

I held a fascination with Nauru for a long time, partly due to my interest in all Pacific islands and also due to my interest in isolated and/or small places. I wanted to see what life was like on this tiny, single island nation, which is either the first, second or third smallest in the world (depending on what status you afford the Vatican and Monaco). Its political and economic history is also unique to say the least. True, Nauru lacks the facilities, attractions and beauty of most other Pacific islands, and as a result tourism is non-existent. All the more reason for going, I said! As it turned out, I was the ONLY tourist on the island, as far as I could tell. Al the other foreigners (of which there were not many) were workers and everybody was surprised I was an honest-to-goodness holidaymaker!

• Pros:Great for solo travellers, very nice people, always sunny, safe
  • Cons:Very far away and expensive to get to, not much to do (especially at night), no public transport
  • In a nutshell:A dot on the landscape but a big impression on me
  • Last visit to Nauru: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Jul 26, 2006

• davequ's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Good page. Wanted to know about Nauru and got what I needed. Thanks.

• Aug 20, 2007 at 4:06 AM

This was a far out place to go to! I also would have thought the beaches would have been nicer there.

• giampiero6's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2007 at 4:48 PM

what an interesting page! Thanks a million!

• brewjohnson's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2007 at 5:20 PM

You've made it to Nauru. Wow. As a lover of the Pacific, I am truly impressed.

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2007 at 6:11 AM

Oh I see you have the isolated small place bug too -- yes this is one Nauru great job. The most difficult place to get to for me was the British Indian Ocean Territory.

• sprdak11's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2007 at 9:44 AM

Great travel page. Greetings.

• peterwill's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2007 at 5:42 AM

Too far to walk? I walked around the whole island in a morning! Not an easy walk to Topside. Blazingly hot with large areas of coral pinnacled moonscape which one could easily get lost in. A weird hostile enviroment.

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2007 at 5:16 AM

Definitely off-the-beaten track! Did you get to see any of those detension camps?

• xuessium's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2007 at 5:54 AM

Chinese food on Nauru - Sheesh! Thanks for the virtual tour!

• canuckmike's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2006 at 9:59 PM

Great page on a place that I have wanted to visit for a while.

ollyf

“Don't just look at it - eat it!”

Badges & Stats in Nauru