"oneonta_ni's new La Grande page" La Grande by oneonta_ni

La Grande Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 15 photos

I lived in La Grande for 6 or 7 years while I was in college and just after graduation. In the eighties, it was a sleepy little college town and I loved it. It has grown a lot since then and has changed too much for me to feel comfortable there anymore but it makes a nice stop on your way to Wallowa County or Idaho.

One of my favourite things to do there was to cycle out in the Grande Ronde Valley. Even on a hot day, this was a beautiful place to be. The humidity is low enough that you don't notice the heat too much and summers in La Grande were lovely.

Winters in the area are wonderful. I remember putting on my cross country skis at my door and skiing around the town. It can be bitterly cold, too, so be prepared.

This photo is a bit old - I think it was taken around 1985 or so. It is the Grande Ronde Valley, looking Southeast, near the end of summer when the grasses have turned yellow.

(sorry about the size.)

• Last visit to La Grande: May 1996
  • Intro Written Aug 30, 2002

• oneonta_ni's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2005 at 8:42 AM

It is a nice cycle out to the hot springs - but watch out for the hawks! You will need a helmet!

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2005 at 7:29 PM

I think if I was biking out there, my goal would have been the hot springs:-]

oneonta_ni

“Give up your day job, your feet were meant to roam...”

Badges & Stats in La Grande

Have you been to La Grande?

Latest Activity in La Grande