"oneonta_ni's new Joseph Page" Joseph by oneonta_ni

Joseph Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 79 photos

When I am homesick for Oregon, this is the place I miss the most. I think it is one of the most beautiful places I have been to.

I lived in Joseph for one summer while working at Wallowa Lake. It was a fantastic summer and I loved living in Joseph. Unfortunately, my job was only for the summer - because of the snow, there are few year round jobs. It is really an artist town with sculpture being the main form of art. The Wallowa Valley Foundry is world famous for art and most of the bronzes in the area were made there. I lived above a smaller foundry owned by the artist Ramon Parmenter.

The scenery is gorgeous as Joseph is set near the Wallowa Mountains and in the Wallowa Valley. The summers are hot and dry but not oppressive and there is always the lake to cool off in. This is the place to be if you like hiking. There is a trailhead at one end of the lake and you can choose a variety of hikes. I highly recommend the one to Ice Lake. It is 8 miles (one way) so can easily be done in a day. Most of the trail is switchbacks but it is not steep. The lake is so beautiful - impossibly blue surrounded by white granite boulders; it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to.

Joseph is also near the Hell's Canyon Recreation Area and would be a good place to base yourself if you want to explore this part of Oregon. And if you like Victorian architecture, there is a good selection of nicely restored houses, too.

I don't have a lot of photos of the area but you can see photos and get good information on this <a href="http://www.josephoregon.com/Pages/home_page2.html">site</a>.

• Pros:Beautiful artist town in a stunning setting.
  • Cons:Gets mighty cold in the winter!
  • In a nutshell:Lovely place for a family summer break.
  • Intro Updated Apr 7, 2003

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2004 at 8:38 AM

I was building a page for my hometown, Joseph, and to my surprise I found yours. Good job!

oneonta_ni

“Give up your day job, your feet were meant to roam...”

Badges & Stats in Joseph