"The Smallest Navigable Harbour" Depoe Bay by oneonta_ni
Depoe Bay Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 24 photos
Depoe Bay (or Dopey Bay as we affectionately referred to it in my youth) is a small town spread on either side of Highway 101 - the main coast road in Oregon. As a young child, Depoe Bay was one of my favourite places because there were loads of small knicknack shops which sold silly things that kids love - like dogs made out of clam shells or tiny ships in tiny bottles. We loved it and would save our allowance and blow it all on little treasures like that.
It is still a nice place to stop for a snack, particularly for carmel corn or ice cream. There is also a 'spouting horn' - a hole in the rocks of the coastline where water squirts up. Sometimes the water squirts up and over the highway. Fun, on a warm day.
There are several places where you can go out on a fishing boat for the day for deep-sea fishing but I have not done this.
Just on the south side of the bridge, there is a smokehouse owned by members of the local Native American tribe. They sell really delicious smoked salmon - I highly recommend it if you like fish.
We went to a powwow here and saw traditional dancing and a traditional salmon bake.
oneonta_ni's Related Pages
Depoe Bay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "DEPOE BAY - WORLD'S SMALLEST HARBOR"
- "'Whale Watching Capital'"
- "Depoe Bay Page"
- "Bugsmom's new Depoe Bay Page"
- "The Smallest Navigable Harbour"
- "The Small but Lovely Town of Depoe Bay"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Depoe Bay
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Depoe Bay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Depoe Bay
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 27 reviews, 80 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 21 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Belfast Intro, 39 reviews, 29 photos, 4 travelogues
- Naples Intro, 16 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 12 reviews, 45 photos, 4 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 18 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 13 reviews, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 12 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Glasgow Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues