Naples Things to Do Tips by oneonta_ni
Naples Things to Do: 486 reviews and 903 photos
The most popular attractions in Naples are actually outside of the city. Most people head to the Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Herculaneum. I wanted to see Herculaneum because I had heard the buildings are nicer but we took the easy route and went to Pompeii. There was a train strike on the Circumvesuviana trains and we weren't sure how to get to Herculaneum otherwise. Pompeii is easily reached on the normal train.
I am sure most people know that Pompeii is the town which was covered in a pyroclastic flow when Mt Vesuvius erupted in 79AD. The site is huge and is mainly made up of ruined houses but there are some really interesting things to see. I wasn't sure how much I would like it but I really enjoyed it.
Be sure to wear flat comfortable shoes. The streets are unevenly paved and can be difficult to walk on. Also bring water and take frequent breaks - there is a lot to see. We spent about 5 hours wandering around and still did not see it all.
Directions: Just south of Naples. Take the train from Piazza Garibaldi. The Circumvesuviana and the regular train both stop in Pompeii.
We arrived in the town and were wondering where to go for the site when we
Other Contact: Check my travelogue on Pompeii f
Other Contact: Another view of the cloisters.
In Piazza del Gesu' is the church of Santa Chiara. The church was built in 1328 but was very badly damaged during WWII. The main attraction here is around the back - a convent cloisters. It is a very quiet place to sit if you have been walking in the hot sun all day. Benches and pillars in the middle of the cloisters are covered in brightly coloured majolica tiles.
Open 8.30 - 1pm & 4 - 6.30pm.
Castel Sant' Elmo. This is a castle on the hill overlooking Naples. We did not actually go into it but we took the funicular railway to the castle one evening to see the view. It is really spectacular and I would recommend going here late in the day so you can see it by day and by night. Very romantic.:o)
More Reviews (12)
oneonta_ni's Related Pages
Naples Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "guide to the hidden Naples"
- "Benvenuti a Napoli!!"
- "A city in perpetual motion"
- "NAPLES – the treasure of Campania!!!"
- "Naples....Sun, Aromas and Tastes"
- "The lively, frenetic and visceral city of Naples"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Naples
- Hotels in Naples
- Transportation in Naples
- Nightlife in Naples
- Restaurants in Naples
- Shopping in Naples
- Warnings and Dangers in Naples
- See All...
Explore the World
- Palmeira Hotels
- Central Province Hotels
- Piggs Peak Hotels
- Xitang Hotels
- Ressano Garcia
Badges & Stats in Naples
- 16 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Naples?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Naples
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 27 reviews, 80 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 21 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Belfast Intro, 39 reviews, 29 photos, 4 travelogues
- Naples Intro, 16 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 12 reviews, 45 photos, 4 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 18 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 13 reviews, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 12 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Glasgow Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
Latest Naples hotel reviews
- Hotel Excelsior
- 139 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Hotel Europeo/Europeo Flowers
- 131 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Hotel Rex Napoli
- 107 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013
- Grand Hotel Oriente Naples
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Apartment Inkiostro
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 10, 2010
- Renaissance Naples Hotel Mediterraneo
- 165 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- La Controra Backpackers Hostel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- B&B La Bouganville Napoli
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 1, 2012
- Rainbow Bed & Breakfast
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Mar 30, 2013
- Jolly Hotel Napoli
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Mercure Napoli Angioino Centro
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- B&B Mergellina Naples
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- 6 Small Rooms B & B
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Hotel des Artistes Naples
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 21, 2013
- Hotel Napoli Centrale B&B
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2012
- Archaelogical Museum- 34 Reviews, 64 Photos
- Galleria Umberto- 15 Reviews, 33 Photos
- Castel Nuovo - Maschio Angioino- 19 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Piazza del Plebiscito- 12 Reviews, 31 Photos
- Castel dell'Ovo- 14 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Duomo- 14 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Vesuvius - Il Vesuvio- 14 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Herculaneum - Ercolano- 11 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Palazzo Reale- 11 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Spaccanapoli- 6 Reviews, 13 Photos
See All Naples Things to Do