"Great Falls, VA" Great Falls by tracylacie
Great Falls Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 46 photos
Great Falls is an area on the Potomac River that is breathtaking. It is accessible from either the Maryland or the Virginia side. I use the Virginia side as it is closer. The Visitors' Center offers wonderful information on the areas past and present. There area guided tours at certain times of the year. The Park has wonderful areas for picnicing and bar-b-queing. It is a low cost way to spend the day and enjoy nature.
The entrance fee for Great Falls Park is $3.00 US and the pass is good for two days...but ...no camping!
There are many hiking trails in the area and these offer different views of the Potomac below.
The wildlife in the park is wonderful!! Numerous birdwatching groups come here. The many trails take you by the canals which George Washington helped create. You will travel by an old ruin of a once strong village that sat near the canals. The rocky terrain is wonderful for hill walkers or everyday people. It is not for those with disabilities as some of the trails are steep and there are some stairs along the trail.
There is fishing if you care to get close enough....the shore is rocky and when wet very dangerous....there is an average of 7 drownings here a year!
If you area planning a trip to the Falls early to mid spring is the best time....and early morning for the best undisturbed views of wildlife. If an afternoon picnic is your style then be prepared for crowds especially in summer!
- Pros:Wonderful place to enjoy nature!
- Cons:Lots of people with the same idea!
- In a nutshell:Worth the $3.00 and more!
tracylacie's Related Pages
Great Falls Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Great Falls of the Potomac"
- "Great Falls Park"
- "Great Falls Virginia"
- "Great Falls, VA"
- "Great Water Fall near a Great City - the VA side"
- "An Urban Wonder"
- "Virginia's major geological feature"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Great Falls
- Restaurants in Great Falls
- Warnings and Dangers in Great Falls
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Great Falls
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Great Falls?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Great Falls
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inveraray Intro, 12 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington Intro, 14 reviews, 5 photos
- Stirling Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harpers Ferry Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Fort William Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Falkirk Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Great Falls Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Tobermory Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Point of Rocks Intro, 1 review, 3 photos