"Inveraray, Scotland A Must See!!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Inveraray by tracylacie

Inveraray Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 134 photos

A Wonderful Town!!

I find it hard to describe the beauty I found in this town. The views were breathtaking...the people incredibly friendly....and the whole ambience just enveloped all of me!! If you can't tell ....this is one town that you must see if visiting Scotland!

I didn't know what this town had to offer...it was just a layover point on my trip ...and as I drove into the town in late afternoon and saw the postcard views it took my breath away!

A visit to the local pubs is a must! The Argyll Hotel and The George Hotel both offer wonderful local atmosphere and good food. They have monderately priced lodging as well.

The Castle

Inveraray Castle is the home of the 13th Duke of Argyll and his family and is the Seat of the Campbell Clan.
Castle Opening Times 2006

April/May & October
During these months the Castle is open on Mondays - Thursdays & Saturdays from 10.00 – 13.00 and in the afternoon from 14.00 – 17.45

On Sundays the Castle is open afternoons only, from 13.00 - 17.45

Last Admission: 12.30 & 17.00

CLOSED FRIDAYS

June/July/August & September
During the summer months, the Castle is open from Monday to Saturday (Including Fridays) from 10:00 - 17:45 and on Sundays from 13:00 - 17:45

Last Admission: 17.00

2006 Admission Prices

Adults ....................................................... £6.30
Senior Citizens ........................................... £5.20
Students (on production of student card) ....... £5.20
Children (under 16) ..................................... £4.10
Family Ticket (2 adults & 2 or more children) .. £17.00

The Castle grounds are viewed by appointment only but there are walks on the grounds that are free and varying in difficulty.

The Maritime Museum

The Maritime Museum sits next to the pier in the heart of Inveraray. It is housed on a ship called the Artic Penquin. It offers wonderful interactive displays and a special Davey Jones' Locker display for the kids.
It has a lot of history ~~the ship was used as a youth training vessel and a cruise ship before finding its way to the pier. It is a wonderful schooner that was built around 1910. The museum has a gift shop and coffee shop. There is another ship at the pier the Vital Spark which is under restoration.

• Pros:Wonderful ppl and gorgeous scenery
  • Cons:A long but beautiful drive.
  • In a nutshell:I will return here again and again!!!!
  • Last visit to Inveraray: Jan 2007
  • Intro Updated May 27, 2012

• clivedinburgh's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Thanks for the birthday wishes. I was sadly at sea working but it's all part of the job. I worked at the castle here a few years back at the 1st Connect festival and met the Duke, very eccentric man.

• iaint's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2008 at 12:58 PM

Good pages; I was there once, many years ago. Maybe I should go back.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2007 at 8:45 AM

Hi Tracy, my tree is now on my Edinburgh page, as commanded...best, Karl

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2007 at 9:17 PM

Hi Tracy. Am heading up to Scotland (first ever visit!) next summer and I really enjoyed reading your tips! My ratings are definitely with you. Greetings from the desert / Jess in Dubai :-)

• vtveen's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2006 at 5:23 AM

Nice tips and pics of one of the places we also visited during our Scotland holiday. Fascinating country.

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2006 at 8:19 PM

beautiful intro and great tips

• Sue08080's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2006 at 4:07 AM

Hello Tracy. Great tips. Welcome to VT.

tracylacie

“Travel is adventure that awakens the soul.”

Badges & Stats in Inveraray

Have you been to Inveraray?

Latest Activity in Inveraray