"Royal Oak, Michigan" Royal Oak by sevilsungur

Royal Oak Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 5 photos

Royal Illusion

Years ago, many many years ago, we would find ourselves at a particularly amazing bar at the end of Main Street almost every night of the week. Coming from a culture where we would always be expected to dress to impress even grocery shopping, we found it hilarious that we could go out wearing our gym pants and just be. Those days in Royal Oak accentuated the significance of the individual rather than the tags on the individual's clothes. It was a part of my growing up process, I admit it started quite late in my personal history. But many things have come late in my personal history. Nevertheless, one thing remained the same, Royal Oak was always in the background during those milestone changes.

Royal Oak Soundtrack - Strangers in the Night

Every fragment in one's life deserves a fine tune in the background. If I were not in Istanbul, the citizens of other worlds I am visiting would give me an adjective to precede my name. Either a "tourist" or an "alien". At times that were hard to rationalize things that happened around me, I would find myself falling in between the big brackets of those two adjectives. In Royal Oak, I never thought I would feel like an alien one day. It all happened so quick. Royal Oak was the venue of acceptance as I said above. No matter how accepting the city was, I found myself rejecting everything that was around me and over the course of a short month I found myself evolving, constantly, emotionally. Finally the inevitable happened, I remembered that I was a "resident alien". I didn't belong here.

Lofty Ambitions

Far away yet so close...There are certain life experiences that should have come early on in life. Well, this one came really late.

Royal Oak is full of landmines, can't get off at Exit 17 anymore, let alone walk the streets.

• Last visit to Royal Oak: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 2, 2007

sevilsungur

“life is what happens when you are busy doing other things”

Badges & Stats in Royal Oak

Have you been to Royal Oak?

Latest Activity in Royal Oak