Maputo Off The Beaten Path Tips by MarioPortugal Top 5 Page for this destination
Maputo Off The Beaten Path: 19 reviews and 54 photos
After independence (in 1975), the city's name changed from Lourenço Marques to Maputo.
Maputo's name has its origin in an old, fierce tribal leader, named Maputa, who once ruled over the whole region.
Sir Winston Churchill
During the Second Boer War (or the South African War), 11-Oct-1899 to 31-May-1902, after being captured by the Boers, an young Winston Churchill made a daring escape to Lourenço Marques by slipping past the sentries.
Visitors will notice that Maputo has plenty of public mail boxes on its streets. Those boxes, that can be found all over the city, are from the preindependence period (before 1975).
Since it's still possible to see the portuguese armillary sphere on those mail boxes, it definitely brings memories from the old Portuguese ruling time when Maputo city was known as Lourenço Marques.
I guess that due to very limited human resources, those mailing boxes are now out of use since the current mozambican mail system doesn't collect any mail from it.
Somehow on Avenida Julius Nyerere there are only 3 particular trees (out of many other trees) that hold various nests of some little birds locally know as Xiricos.
Those particular trees are located on Julius Nyerere Avenue right in front of the Europcar office (near Polana Hotel).
Would one imagine that on one particular building on Avenida 24 de Julho, one of the main avenues in Maputo, there's a tree that has been growing, growing, growing on the edge of the roof and it seems that nobody cares about it !!!
The tree sprang up right there and right there has it been growing and thing's are likely to be kept that way. Amazing !! - Who would think that this could happen ??
A curious note is that sewer covers found on the streets Maputo still carry the name of Lourenço Marques, the former name of this city during the time of Portuguese rule.
More Reviews (104)
- See All Carpremium: rent - a - car
- See All Good & Affordable
- See All Buying drinks from the inside of the Car
- See All The Estrela Market - DRINKS
- See All Dirty & Filthy Streets
MarioPortugal's Related Pages
Maputo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Maputo - formerly "Lourenço Marques""
- "Backpacking in MAPUTO"
- "NICE COUNTRY - BAD GOVERNMENT"
- "The tide of changes"
- "Maputo...and lobster feast!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maputo
- Hotels in Maputo
- Transportation in Maputo
- Nightlife in Maputo
- Restaurants in Maputo
- Shopping in Maputo
- Warnings and Dangers in Maputo
- See All...
Explore the World
- Northern Thailand
- Camiguin Island Hotels
- Yavne Hotels
- Hainan Sheng
- Isla Culebrita
- Munster Hotels
- Faselis Harabeleri Hotels
- Srinagar Off The Beaten Path
- Bora-Bora Off The Beaten Path
- Pigeon Forge Off The Beaten Path
- Burlington Off The Beaten Path
- Burgas Off The Beaten Path
- Norfolk (County) Off The Beaten Path
- Orange Off The Beaten Path
- Ronda (daytrip)
- Pulau Redang Off The Beaten Path
- Parati Off The Beaten Path
- Pulau Langkawi Off The Beaten Path
- Sequoia National Park Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Maputo
- 110 Reviews
- 324 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Maputo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maputo
- Wrote a Review Carpremium: rent - a - car in Maputo Transportation
- updated a Maputo Travel Page "Maputo - formerly "Lourenço Marques""
- Uploaded a Photo to "Good & Affordable"
- Commented on one of Assenczo's Maputo travel pages
- Posted in Travel Provincia de Maputo Forum "Re: Road from Maputo to Ponta"
Photos in MaputoSee All Photos (324)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maputo Intro, 110 reviews, 324 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Macao Intro, 32 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pinhão Intro, 20 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provincia de Maputo Intro, 23 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nazaré Intro, 33 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Óbidos Intro, 22 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Porto Intro, 18 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Marracuene Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luanda Intro, 16 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kruger National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (10)
Latest Maputo hotel reviews
- Hotel Ibis Maputo
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 8, 2013
- Hotel Villa das Mangas
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Pestana Inhaca Lodge
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 3, 2013
- Hotel Tivoli
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Pestana Bazaruto Lodge
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Hotel Cardoso
- 124 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Afrin Prestige Hotel
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 25, 2013
- Girassol Indy Village
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Hotel Polana
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
- Southern Sun Maputo
- 187 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Pestana Rovuma
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013