"Nice City with NO hassel what so ever" Top 5 Page for this destination Tetouan by Doctor38
Tetouan Travel Guide: 98 reviews and 314 photos
Tetouan; what is in the name?
Tet in the Amazigh (Berber) language means Spring. ouan indicates the pleural. so Tetouan means the Springs. It is interesting to know that there is a section in the city that is called Aloyoon which also means the springs in Arabic
Tetouan, Why is it off the beaten path?
It is a shame that a city like Tetouan is being ignored by tourists. The city could easily rival Marrakesh and Fes as a tourist destination. The medina is listed on the UNISCO World Heritage. Tetouan has few things that Marrakesh or Fes will never ever have, like the beaches and the close proximity to Europe.
Why is Tetouan being ignored? There are 2 reasons. The main reason is the grudge that King Hassan II used to hold against Tetoun and the Reef. His hate resulted in total neglect by the Moroccan government to the city and the region. This neglect resulted into lack of any development, high unemployment and increased poverty and suffering. The other reason is Tetouan’s bad reputation of its hustler which is ironically was a result of high unemployment. I am happy to say that both reasons are something from the past.
I certainly disagree with the picture painted about the city on VT and I would like to warn you that these pages are giving you a picture that is totally untrue.
If You skip the city you'll be missing out on a gem that is really in the rough. Visit Tetoun and you'll love it. You'll be amazed to know that I stayed 2 night and 3 days and I was able to do and see a lot. Let us hear about your experince so we can change some of the bad, wrong reviews about the city.
I am planning to go again and I encourage every tourist to take the time to visit Tetouan especially if you are coming from nearby Europe
You can visit the Jewish section (mallah) with its synegouge. This Jewish quarter was established in the early 19th... more travel advice
The bus station is on Mouly Abbas Street, next to Marche central. There is a storage facilities at the site. it will... more travel advice
Doctor38's Related Pages
Tetouan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nice City with NO hassel what so ever"
- "The first and... the worst city in Morocco"
- "Morocco - Tetouan."
- "Tetouan in the Rif"
- "Tetouan, Morocco!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tetouan
- Hotels in Tetouan
- Transportation in Tetouan
- Nightlife in Tetouan
- Restaurants in Tetouan
- Shopping in Tetouan
- Warnings and Dangers in Tetouan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tetouan
- 24 Reviews
- 99 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Tetouan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tetouan
- updated a Tetouan Travel Page "Nice City with NO hassel what so ever"
- Posted in Travel Medina Forum "Re: plane from mecca to medina"
- Commented on one of Regina1965's Tetouan travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Nice City with NO hassel what so ever"
- Wrote a Review Mellah, Market and more Alleys in Tetouan Things to Do
Photos in TetouanSee All Photos (99)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rabat Intro, 33 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sharjah Intro, 33 reviews, 117 photos
- Syria Intro, 37 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Casablanca Intro, 29 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tetouan Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Meknes Intro, 15 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chefchaouene Intro, 14 reviews, 61 photos
- T'bilisi Intro, 15 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volubilis Intro, 17 reviews, 43 photos
- Safi Intro, 10 reviews, 44 photos