"Nice City with NO hassel what so ever" Top 5 Page for this destination Tetouan by Doctor38

Tetouan Travel Guide: 108 reviews and 309 photos

Tetouan; what is in the name?
Tet in the Amazigh (Berber) language means Spring. ouan indicates the pleural. so Tetouan means the Springs. It is interesting to know that there is a section in the city that is called Aloyoon which also means the springs in Arabic

Tetouan, Why is it off the beaten path?
It is a shame that a city like Tetouan is being ignored by tourists. The city could easily rival Marrakesh and Fes as a tourist destination. The medina is listed on the UNISCO World Heritage. Tetouan has few things that Marrakesh or Fes will never ever have, like the beaches and the close proximity to Europe.

Why is Tetouan being ignored? There are 2 reasons. The main reason is the grudge that King Hassan II used to hold against Tetoun and the Reef. His hate resulted in total neglect by the Moroccan government to the city and the region. This neglect resulted into lack of any development, high unemployment and increased poverty and suffering. The other reason is Tetouan’s bad reputation of its hustler which is ironically was a result of high unemployment. I am happy to say that both reasons are something from the past.

I certainly disagree with the picture painted about the city on VT and I would like to warn you that these pages are giving you a picture that is totally untrue.

If You skip the city you'll be missing out on a gem that is really in the rough. Visit Tetoun and you'll love it. You'll be amazed to know that I stayed 2 night and 3 days and I was able to do and see a lot. Let us hear about your experince so we can change some of the bad, wrong reviews about the city.

I am planning to go again and I encourage every tourist to take the time to visit Tetouan especially if you are coming from nearby Europe

• Last visit to Tetouan: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Apr 12, 2010

• PierreZA's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2010 at 7:22 AM

Seems like a great place to visit. Very nice page. Thanks for the correction!

• Jul 30, 2008 at 2:40 AM

Nice review of Tetouan. We used to spend lots of summers near by. I did not about Sidi Assaidi. very funny story. I wont be suprized if it was true

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2007 at 3:40 PM

A fascinating look at all the things I missed on my one-day visit to Tetouan in February 1963! All I remember is that a man invited me for a cup of green tea & I read him a letter he had got from Germany. He spoke & understood German but couldn't read it.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2007 at 8:13 PM

hi nice to your photos of the excellent mosaics that i recommend visits to see in Tetouan - my pics on film so not on digitial yet!youve done lots of good work on your pages!all the best.I had LOTS of hassle when i was there though but still recommend it.

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2007 at 10:50 PM

Very interesting and well written tips about Tetouan. I'd love to visit these places one day.

Doctor38

“To the Edge,...and back!! except for you Qaddafi”

Badges & Stats in Tetouan

Have you been to Tetouan?