"Oualili" Top 5 Page for this destination Volubilis by Doctor38
Volubilis Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 227 photos
The Phoenicians arrived under the leadership of Hanno the Navigator after passing through the Straights of Gibraltar around 1600 B.C. The Phoenicians chose startigic places and post for trading with the locals. The posts developed later into cities. These cities include Tangier, Tetouan, Lexuos, Asilah, Chella, Volubilis and many more.
The Carthaginian (also Phoenicians) used the same sites and they were followed by the Berber Kingdom of Mauritania . This Native kingdom was heavily influenced by the Roman but was fairly Autonomous. The boundaries extended all the way to Modern day Tunisia and had its capital somewhere in Algeria. This Kingdom of Mauritania ruled from 280 B.C. to 40 AD with very prominent kings esp. King Juba II who married to the Daughter of Antonio and Cleopatra. King Ptolemy (grand on of Cleopatra) was the last Berber king. He was assassinated in 40 AD by the Roman Emperor Caligula and the story goes that he was a wearing an eye catching red dress which made the Roman Emperor mad for being up staged.
The Romans abandoned morocco in 285 AD. During the reign of Diocletian for unknown reason but their influence remained very strong in Volubilis in particular. The Latin language was still spoken when Islam arrived. However when Mouly Idress arrived few years later this area was already a Muslim area.
This house is located on the main street. However the entrance is on the sideway. It has this name because the mosiac... more travel advice
This site is open daily from 8-darkness. If you arrive by a car there is a guarded parking spot. The cost of admission... more travel advice
Doctor38's Related Pages
Volubilis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Volubilis - great "Leftovers" from the Roman times"
- "Volubuis, Roman Ghost Town in Morocco"
- "Volubilis the great Roman city"
- "UNESCO Heritage Site - Volubilis"
- "The anthic city of volubilis"
- "One of the most beautiful ancien Roman Sites"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Volubilis
- Hotels in Volubilis
- Transportation in Volubilis
- Restaurants in Volubilis
- Shopping in Volubilis
- Warnings and Dangers in Volubilis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Volubilis
- 17 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Volubilis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Volubilis
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rabat Intro, 33 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sharjah Intro, 33 reviews, 117 photos
- Syria Intro, 37 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Casablanca Intro, 29 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tetouan Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Meknes Intro, 15 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chefchaouene Intro, 14 reviews, 61 photos
- T'bilisi Intro, 15 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volubilis Intro, 17 reviews, 43 photos
- Safi Intro, 10 reviews, 44 photos