"Dubai, What is in the name?" Dubai by Doctor38
Dubai Travel Guide: 2,709 reviews and 8,000 photos
Dubai in Arabic means young Desert Locust!! Why is it called that way? Will this area was full of Locust as recent as 50+ years ago. Actually Dubai area was known for Grass hopper to an extent that there is a very old Arabic Proverb (may be pre-Islamic era or early Islamic period), when some body want to describe something as plentiful he would say "like the Locust of Dubai”.
The Stem Deb/Dub in Semitic languges has lots of connections to insects and animals, it also means to crawl or walk and It is interesting for you to know that Debroha, the Biblical name, which means a bee in Ancient Caananite language (Dabbor in Arabic is also a type of bee)
Ok I will digress but you might be interested to know that in Arabic launguage lots of Animal names come from this stem ( db ) for example
Daabah: Animels in general
Dubb : Bear
Dhaby (like in Abo Dhaby, UAE capitol): Gazelle
Thobab: Fly (insect)
Theeb : Wolf
Dhaba' : Hayina
The pesky insects not only disappeared from Dubai but almost from the entire Arabian Peninsula. The insects used to invade the area from Africa across the Red Sea! Why aren't they around any more! I don't know. You might be surprised to know that people used to eat em!! I asked my grand father how it tasted like. Will his answer was (No not chicken) but shrimps. I have to admit that 30 years ago during a fluke, aberrant, mini Locust invasion of the surrounding area I saw a plate full of Locust? How was it prepared? Will it was boiled and NO I did NOT eat any of it. Any way I guess in the early 20th Century and time prior to that those Locust ate nothing but clean desert vegetation and where probably a source of healthy proteins.
I suppose -I am not sure- that people in the deserts of Africa do still eat these Locust, Please feel free to correct me if you think that I am wrong.
If you want to know more about Locust read
If you are travelling to the Middle East or any other Muslim country, you might want read some thing about Islam or... more travel advice
This show takes place once every 2 years and it is the biggest car show in the Middle East. It attracts local and... more travel advice
Doctor38's Related Pages
Dubai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Not all that glitters is gold..."
- "Nothing is Too Impossible in Dubai"
- "DESERT ROSE MONOLOGUES - A DUBAI AFFAIR"
- "DUBAI - The Pearl of Arabia"
- "Developing Dubai"
- "Dubai - a city growing before your eyes!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dubai
- Hotels in Dubai
- Transportation in Dubai
- Nightlife in Dubai
- Restaurants in Dubai
- Shopping in Dubai
- Warnings and Dangers in Dubai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dubai
- 5 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 78 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Dubai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dubai
- Posted in Travel Medina Forum "Re: plane from mecca to medina"
- updated a Dubai Travel Page "Dubai, What is in the name?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Muhammad: A Biography of the Prophet by Armstrong"
- Wrote a Review Muhammad: A Biography of the Prophet by Armstrong in Dubai Favorites
- Commented on one of MM212's Dubai travel pages
Photos in DubaiSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rabat Intro, 33 reviews, 134 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sharjah Intro, 33 reviews, 117 photos
- Syria Intro, 37 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Casablanca Intro, 29 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tetouan Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Meknes Intro, 15 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chefchaouene Intro, 14 reviews, 61 photos
- T'bilisi Intro, 15 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volubilis Intro, 17 reviews, 43 photos
- Safi Intro, 10 reviews, 44 photos