"Stoke by Nayland - Suffolk" Stoke by Nayland by elucas
Stoke by Nayland Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 5 photos
The attractive village of Stoke by Nayland lies seven miles north of Colchester, just across the Essex border. The village boasts one of the finest churches in an area known for its medieval churches.
St Mary's is mostly 15th century with some 19th century additions. It's chief claim to fame is the magnificent tower which was built in 1470 which soars skyward - as near to Heaven as was humanly possible.
The great landscape painter John Constable, whose pictures of this part of the Stour valley made the area well known, included the tower in more than one of his landscapes. He did, however, move it about sometimes to suit his compositions !
This is the east window behind the altar of St Mary's. It was a lovely day to visit the church, there was plenty of sunlight filtering into the chuch and a lot of flowers - possibly from a wedding.
The great tower soars to the sky - more like that of a cathedral than a rural parish church.
elucas' Related Pages
Stoke by Nayland Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Stoke by Nayland
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Stoke by Nayland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stoke by Nayland
Photos in Stoke by NaylandSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Santorini Island Intro, 11 reviews, 65 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerez de la Frontera Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salzburg Intro, 8 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Úbeda Intro, 11 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baeza Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jaén Intro, 7 reviews, 22 photos
- Andalucía Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fira Intro, 19 photos
- Lucca Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Baños de la Encina Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos