"Wimbledon Tennis - page under construction" Top 5 Page for this destination Wimbledon by elucas
Wimbledon Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 256 photos
On their way to the centre court the players pass through a door above which is written in silver lettering two lines from the epic poem “If” by Rudyard Kipling:
“If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same; . .”
The combatants then head out onto the arena, to be greeted by expectant applause, a blaze of colour from the crowd, waiting officials, watching commentators, the long lenses of the press and, hopefully, a clear blue sky.
A coin is tossed to decide who is first to serve followed by a few moments to “knock up”, then the umpire will give the call to play. . . .
At the top level, provided players are fit and sufficiently skilled, so much is in the mind. Often you see players having difficulty “closing out” a match, maybe because their opponent is fighting back, or maybe because they do not, in their heart, believe they can win. A crucial moment is the serve on a big point, the crowds will cheer the last stroke of a rally, and then, silence will fall over the court. A silence so quiet that it is deafening. The server tosses the ball into that silence in order to serve – this is when the mind can dance – will it be a crucial ace, or a fault ? A win or a loss ? A match sliding away or still to be won ? No wonder players often consult a sports psychiatrist.
The picture is Number One Court - another wonderful arena - our Centre court visits were pre-digital !
If you have been successful you will hear from the Club from February, asking you for immediate payment. You will need... more travel advice
Wimbledon is not just about the high pressure matches – a mixed doubles match on a long sunny summer evening is every... more travel advice
elucas' Related Pages
Wimbledon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wimbledon - Home of The Championships"
- "Home to the famous Lawn Tennis Grand Slam"
- "Wimbledon Tennis - page under construction"
- "Wimbledon Tennis"
- "Our Home Town"
- "Wimbledon Championships 2004-2006"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wimbledon
- Hotels in Wimbledon
- Transportation in Wimbledon
- Nightlife in Wimbledon
- Restaurants in Wimbledon
- Shopping in Wimbledon
- Warnings and Dangers in Wimbledon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wimbledon
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Wimbledon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wimbledon
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The fossil does it."
- Wrote a Review Public Ballot - Do's and Don'ts. in Wimbledon Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Getting tickets - Public Ballot Stages 1 and 2"
- updated a Wimbledon Travel Page "Wimbledon Tennis - page under construction"
- Commented on one of Jenniflower's Wimbledon travel pages
Photos in WimbledonSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Santorini Island Intro, 11 reviews, 65 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerez de la Frontera Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salzburg Intro, 8 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Úbeda Intro, 11 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baeza Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jaén Intro, 7 reviews, 22 photos
- Andalucía Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fira Intro, 19 photos
- Lucca Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Baños de la Encina Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos