"Golden Beaches, Birds, Mountains and Orchards" Nelson/Tasman by Kakapo2
Nelson/Tasman Travel Guide: 289 reviews and 653 photos
The orange-golden sands of Golden Bay and the Abel Tasman National Park are the picture most visitors have on their mind when planning a trip to the Nelson/Tasman region. This contrast of the orangey coloured sand and the grey strangely sculptured granite rocks. But ithis is only a small piece of the region which in fact is very diverse.
But sure, those golden sands are a good reason to travel there as the climate at the northern end of the South Island is very mild - which is the reason why this area is rich of orchards and vineyards. (However, the main wine area is further east, in Marlborough).
The not so golden beaches east and west of the Abel Tasman National Park and the Golden Bay are not less beautiful, just different. Be it the beaches closer to Nelson, a lovely town with a large English population and a lot of German artists, or the lonesome beaches of and near the Farewell Spit, the world's longest sandbank. This, as you can imagine, is a bird paradise, populated with large flocks of native and migrating birds, infamous for the strandings of whales who do not find the way out of this U-shaped trap in the sea.
But the Nelson/Tasman region is not only sand, beaches and orchards. The western part is the gateway to the Kahurangi National Park and the start of the famous Heaphy Track, and south-west of Nelson is the Nelson Lakes National Park with peaks rising up to 2000 metres, and dark lakes shaped by glaciers. Parts of the park near Lake Rotoiti are not only a great place for hikers who can walk there for days, but also a bird paradise. This pocket of the park is kept predator-free, so rare birds including kaka, a wonderful parrot, are abundant.
Although you will see ten thousands of sea and shore birds including gannets at the Farewell Spit the birds do not breed there. They are just visitors. This is different at the Nelson Lakes National Park where all kinds of endemic and native birds are breeding in the predator-free environment on the shores of Lake Rotoiti.
A great place to watch birds are the wetlands north of Marahau, at the start of the Abel Tasman Coastal Track - but only at low tide. Then the waders and sea birds come to feed in the mudflats of the shore. Between Marahau and Kaiteriteri you can see a lot of shags (cormorants) nesting in the trees above the water.
As already mentioned, you do not only have beaches in this region. In the Nelson Lakes National Park you even find ski fields, the Rainbow Ski Area. The peaks are higher than 2000 metres.
If you are into skiing in a remote and not so famous area, you find more information on:
The list of other activities includes hiking, mountainbiking, kayaking, cruising, seal watch and swim, and you can also see whales and dolphins.
- Pros:The birds, beaches and colours
- Cons:The many artificial pine forests in the mountains
- In a nutshell:Love the remoteness of the west and the colours of the Abel Tasman N.P.
I have stayed at the Buller campground at West Bay lately (Feb. 2013) when the DOC campground at Kerr Bay (St. Arnaud)... more travel advice
I have a problem with the words "luxury" and "luxurious" since living in New Zealand. Many things that are better than... more travel advice
Kakapo2's Related Pages
Nelson/Tasman Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Golden Beaches, Birds, Mountains and Orchards"
- "Northern part of the South Island"
- "Sunshine & Landscape"
- "Nelson/Tasman has so much to offer."
- "TASMAN BAY and Nelson's Lakes"
- "Grab Yer Togs!"
- "Nelson - Kayaking in Abel Tasman Nat'l Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nelson/Tasman
- Hotels in Nelson/Tasman
- Transportation in Nelson/Tasman
- Restaurants in Nelson/Tasman
- Shopping in Nelson/Tasman
- Warnings and Dangers in Nelson/Tasman
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nelson/Tasman
- 51 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Nelson/Tasman?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nelson/Tasman
Photos in Nelson/TasmanSee All Photos (83)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 244 reviews, 606 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 124 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 93 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyttelton Intro, 65 reviews, 170 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- West Coast Intro, 68 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulm Intro, 55 reviews, 152 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canterbury Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 72 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bora-Bora Intro, 49 reviews, 102 photos, 7 travelogues