"The Swabian Capital - My Office out of Office" Stuttgart by Kakapo2
Stuttgart Travel Guide: 615 reviews and 1,596 photos
I nearly ticked "I used to live here" when giving additional visit information about Stuttgart ;-)
It surely was my office out of office. In my 24 years with Südwest Presse newspaper in Ulm I might have been in Stuttgart every second week on average - sometimes three times per week, during big events daily during 10 days, sometimes less. So in total it might even have been more on average. This would add up to between 600 and 800 visits during my time in Ulm.
You can believe me, I drove the 100 kilometres (on way) so automatically, I sometimes was not really aware where I was - but I always ended up either in front of the football stadium or the sports hall next door. Those were my offices out of office. And sometimes I also went to the city centre, sometimes for meeting up with a player for an interview, or for press conferences, and on rare occasions for the big parties after winning a German Championship - but also for shopping, so just for fun. But believe it or not, although I knew the city quite well I would not call myself an insider.
When I started reporting about VfB Stuttgart in 1980, the stadium's name was Neckarstadion, named after the river Neckar which just runs past the stadium. Then, after a sponsorship deal with the Daimler/Mercedes enterprise next door, it was renamed Gottlieb-Daimler-Stadion, short: Daimlerstadion. This has changed its face again, a big business centre was added, and a hotel, new fan shop, and café.
The place where you now find Schleyerhalle was an empty space. Now this indoor stadium where Stuttgart's big indoor sports events and pop concerts take place, has been extended by Porsche-Arena. And on the other side of Daimlerstadion Stuttgart's biggest employer has built an outstanding transport museum, the Daimler-Benz Museum. They invented the motorcar, so it is the best place in the world to learn about the history of motor vehicles.
The other world-famous car manufacturer is located in the suburb of Zuffenhausen. Its name: Porsche. I know, not everybody in the world is dreaming of a Porsche - but I do. My dream car would be a black or silver Porsche 911 Turbo ;-) But I need to win lotto first ;-)
As Stuttgart is the centre of Germany's south-west, and the capital of the federal state of Baden-Württemberg, you can also expect some outstanding architectural masterpieces, including an impressive castle sitting right in the city centre, and some fabulous places of culture.
The location of Stuttgart is rather attractive. The location is caldera-like, with the centre really at the centre and lowest point of this cooking-pot-like landscape. This can transform the centre on hot summer days into rather a sticky and boiling place. On the other hand, it is not far to the hilly green suburbs.
Nice activities are a cruise on the Neckar, a visit to the zoo named Wilhelma, strolling in the beautiful park on Killesberg. In the suburb of Degerloch you can enjoy the views from the TV Tower (Fernsehturm). Dozens of interesting destinations are within an hour's drive from the very city centre.
A note about the language: Stuttgart is in the Württemberg region of Baden-Württemberg. People here speak Schwäbisch (Swabian dialect). The capital of Baden is Karlsruhe, and the people there speak Badisch. Never mix this up, the people are very sensitive on this subject ;-)
Württembergers call Badeners "Gelbfüßler" - Yellow Feet (which can also mean: Yellow Legs because Schwaben call legs and feet fee (Füße)... The history of this is not clear at all, and some sources even say that the Schwaben were originally called Gelbfüßler, and that at some point it went over to the Badeners. Anyway. As soon as a Schwabe calls a Badener Gelbfüßler he normally places a return, calling the Schwabe Sauschwob (Sauschwabe = Swine Swabian)... So not really polite ;-)
To irritate you a little more, let me just add that the region of Schwaben historically extends far into the east which is now part of Bavaria. Many call this area – with a main centre around Augsburg - the real Schwaben…
I have not photographed a lot while I lived in the region but I took quite some photos in 2007. I will add some tips whenever I find time to write them...
- Pros:Filled with many personal Memories and Football
- Cons:Never enough Time to really Enjoy the City
- In a nutshell:Great Sport, great Cars, a great Region
Kakapo2's Related Pages
Stuttgart Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stuttgart: Horses and Horsepower"
- "Opera and Protest in Stuttgart"
- "Sweet home"
- "Our New Home GERMANY"
- "Between Woods and Vineyards"
- "Stuttgart Capital of the Swabians"
- "suubi's German Home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stuttgart
- Hotels in Stuttgart
- Transportation in Stuttgart
- Nightlife in Stuttgart
- Restaurants in Stuttgart
- Shopping in Stuttgart
- Warnings and Dangers in Stuttgart
- See All...
Explore the World
- Indian Beach Hotels
- Kansas City
- Camels Hump State Park Hotels
- Panglao Island
- Montego Bay
- Republic of Montenegro
- Lod Hotels
- Albert Canyon Hotels
- Goa Velha Hotels
- San Luis Obispo
- Abbeylara Hotels
Badges & Stats in Stuttgart
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 32 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (108)
Have you been to Stuttgart?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stuttgart
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 244 reviews, 606 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 124 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 93 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyttelton Intro, 65 reviews, 170 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- West Coast Intro, 68 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulm Intro, 55 reviews, 152 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canterbury Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 72 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bora-Bora Intro, 49 reviews, 102 photos, 7 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (31)
Latest Stuttgart hotel reviews
- Millennium Hotel and Resort Stuttgart
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Mercure Hotel Fontana Stuttgart
- 131 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Classic Congress Hotel
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 28, 2013
- Hilton Garden Inn Stuttgart Neckarpark
- 145 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- DEFUNCT CLOSED IN DEC 2011 Moevenpick Hotel Stuttgart Messe
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hotel Astoria Stuttgart
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 5, 2013
- Kronen Hotel Stuttgart City
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Hotel Koehler Restaurant
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2013
- Etap Hotel Stuttgart
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Alex 30 Hostel
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013
- Hotel Am Schlossgarten
- 158 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Koerschtal Hotel Stuttgart
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 25, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Stuttgart 21
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 22, 2013
- Inter City Hotel
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 12, 2012
- Hotel Mack Stuttgart
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 23, 2013