Milford Sound Transportation Tips by Kakapo2 Top 5 Page for this destination
Milford Sound Transportation: 15 reviews and 28 photos
Of course, you are most flexible by car.
There are three ways to get to Milford Sound: on foot on the Milford Track, by airplane from Queenstown or Te Anau, or by car/coach. The latter is the most common option.
The Milford Road, part of SH 94, is the only access road to the fiord. From Te Anau, the trip is 121 kilometres one way, and as it is a winding alpine road with up and downhill sections, it takes you at least two hours.
The distance from Queenstown is 291 kilometres. This takes you about 4 hours one way - nonstop.
This shows that it does not make a lot of sense to plan Milford Sound as a day trip from Queenstown. It is feasible in summer when you have long daylight hours, but is not reasonable in any other season, as driving at night is not recommended.
Daylight hours in June in this region is from 8.20am to 5pm, so just a bit more than 8 hours. You would need all the daylight time for driving alone. I have never met anybody who would have driven down there without stopping... and it is dangerous to drive without little breaks.
A cruise takes 1.45 to 2 hours, you walk 10 min from the carpark to the cruise terminal, have to consider waiting in front of Homer Tunnel. So any plan from Queenstown under 11 or 12 hours is unrealistic.
The only sensible options would be to take a flight or go on a bus tour with an experienced driver, so you do not have to drive in the dark. But you would travel with the crowds, and this really makes it less enjoyable. But sure, better this way than not at all.
If you absolutely want to get to Milford Sound, try to stay in Te Anau for two nights and make the trip from there. If you are short on time, you could do some activities in Queenstown and drive down to Te Anau in the afternoon. The drive takes about 2 hours.
You can choose from several bus companies that service Milford Sound. They are also good for your transportation back to Te Anau or even Queenstown if you walk the Milford Track and need a shuttle service back to your base or your next destination.
... is Fiordland’s Track Transport Specialist. They operate their passenger service during the Great Walks season. They have three daily trips between Queenstown, Te Anau, Milford Sound, Kepler, Routeburn and Milford Tracks. (Also to/from Invercargill, Dunedin, Bluff, Manapouri, Hollyford & Mavora Tracks daily.)
Timetables on the Tracknet website.
They also offer the boat transfer from Lake Te Anau Downs to the start of the Milford Track.
Phone (03) 249 7777 and Freephone (0800) 483 262 (press 2)
Internet: www.greatwalksnz.com, leads to: http://www.tracknet.net/
... offer group and individual charter services to all Fiordland tracks. Kepler Track daily shuttle service also available. Please note: Regular service (non-charter) only available between Queenstown and Te Anau. Manapouri on request.
Phone (03) 249 8059
Trips ‘n’ Tramps:
We have seen one of their small buses along the Milford Road. They do not only offer a bus/cruise combo from Te Anau to Milford Sound, with photo stops along the way, but also guided walks, and pick-ups at Milford Sound for people who have completed the Milford Track. Also charter tours. Their groups have a maximum of 12 people which is a bonus.
The good thing about their bus/cruise combo (NZ$ 155 in May 2009) is that they start at 8am in Te Anau, so you would already be on the boat before the big tour bus rush.
Phone (03) 249 7081 and Freephone (0800) 305 807
Internet: www.tripsntramps.co.nz, www.tripsandtramps.com
Not to forget the big bus companies:
Phone (03) 442 5109, Freephone (0800) 505 504
They, of course, also have their own boats at Milford Sound.
Phone (03) 249 7416, Freephone (0800) 65 65 01
You can also fly to Milford Sound from Queenstown (scenic flights).
Here is a list of authorised flight operators in Fiordland:
More Reviews (36)
- See All You will almost certainly see NZ Fur...
- See All Add Time for the Way from the Carpark to...
- Coffee, Cakes & Bar Food with a splendid...
- Warm Clothes and Sandfly Repellent
Kakapo2's Related Pages
Milford Sound Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Silent Water Magic"
- "Milford Track Nov 29-Dec 3 2006"
- "Milford Sound -Glimpse of the Fiorland"
- "Milford Sound"
- "Milford Sound"
- "Milford Sound"
- "The Sound of Nature"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Milford Sound
- Hotels in Milford Sound
- Transportation in Milford Sound
- Nightlife in Milford Sound
- Restaurants in Milford Sound
- Warnings and Dangers in Milford Sound
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pleasant Hill Hotels
- Texarkana Hotels
- Sodus Point
- Big Pocono State Park
- Twightwee Hotels
- Zaragoza Hotels
Badges & Stats in Milford Sound
- 38 Reviews
- 107 Photos
- 44 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (121)
Have you been to Milford Sound?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Milford Sound
- Posted in Travel Australia Forum "Re: tourist visa"
- updated a Milford Sound Travelogue "My Friend's Kea Encounter at Homer Tunnel"
- Uploaded a Photo to "My Friend's Kea Encounter at Homer Tunnel"
- Wrote a Review You will almost certainly see NZ Fur Seals in Milford Sound Things to Do
- Commented on one of Josilver's Milford Sound travel pages
Photos in Milford SoundSee All Photos (107)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 244 reviews, 606 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 124 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 93 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyttelton Intro, 65 reviews, 170 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- West Coast Intro, 68 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulm Intro, 55 reviews, 152 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canterbury Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 72 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bora-Bora Intro, 49 reviews, 102 photos, 7 travelogues