Akaroa Transportation Tips by Kakapo2 Top 5 Page for this destination
Akaroa Transportation: 14 reviews and 19 photos
Everything for transportation and watersports.
Destination Akaroa is a relatively new company that caters for independent travellers to Akaroa and Banks Peninsula.
If you get to Akaroa by bus and there decide that you want explore Banks Peninsula more thoroughly, you can rent a car, motorbike or scooter there.
Their cars are provided by Ace Rentals and cost from NZ$ 59 per day. They just have a couple of cars, and I think this is sufficient as still most people come to Akaroa either on guided bus tours or by rental car, so they are not overrun by people wanting to rent a car out there.
To hire a motorbike is not cheap, they cost from NZ$ 60 for 2 hours.
The same applies to scooters (50cc mopeds). NZ$ 30 for 1 hour.
The service of this company does not end here. They also have boats for hire (4 hours = NZ$ 200 plus fuel, 8 hours = NZ$ 350 plus fuel), fishing and waterski combos (NZ$ 150 pp), and waterski (NZ$ 150 pp for 2.5 hours).
Fishing charters come to NZ$ 100 pp for 3.5 hours and NZ$ 180 pp for 7 hours.
Dive charters and groups on demand.
Finally, they also offer accommodation and arrange other activities which you can also book at the Visitor Centre.
You cannot miss the company. They have a striking orange coloured shed shortly after the right-hand turn from SH 75 into Rue Lavaud, beside the Grand Hotel, and opposite the La Rochelle Motel.
Other Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: (0800) 488 133, (03) 304 7220
Type: Car/Motor Home
This competitor of the established French Connection offers different services. One of them is the direct shuttle service. A return ticket costs $ 30, a single trip $ 20. It includes short stops at Little River and the Hilltop Tavern.
Daily departure from Christchurch (Cathedral Square) is 8.30am (plus additionally at 4.30pm on Fridays), from Akaroa (Visitor Centre) at 10.30am and 3.35pm.
The Premier Scenic Coach Trip costs $ 40 ($ 25 one way). Departure from Christchurch is 10am, and Akaroa 3.35pm.
The big difference of this trip and the trip with the French Connection is that this shuttle turns onto the Scenic Tourist Drive at the Hilltop Tavern. From there you have the most spectacular view of Akaroa Harbour and Onawe Peninsula which reaches far out into the harbour, no doubt about that. On the way back to Christchurch you have a stop at the cheese factory at Barrys Bay which is on the shortest route between A and C.
The Scenic Banks Peninsula Lunch Tour in a ten seater coach which is on offer for $ 95 does not include much more scenery but a visit to French Far off the main road at Barrys Bay. There you will have lunch and wine tasting. The trip starts at 10.30am and takes about 6 to 6.5 hours, including free time in Akaroa.
Phone (03) 348 5542
Freephone (0800) 500 929
From Akaroa you can book a trip on the Eastern Bays Scenic Mail Run.
The French Connection on the way to Akaroa.
I highly recommend to hire a car for a tour of Banks Peninsula – but if you are for whatever reason not able or not in the mood to do so there are still ways and means to at least get yourself to Akaroa.
The best-known shuttle service is the French Connection which links Christchurch and Akaroa. And they do not just race from A to C but offer photo stops at scenic spots, like the beach of Birdlings Flat, the old railway station in Little River, the historic Hilltop Tavern from where you get the first great view of Akaroa Harbour (plus refreshments), and at Barrys Bay which has a nice lookout from the waterfront but is better known for its cheese factory. The stop includes a visit.
The daily departure from Christchurch (Cathedral Square) is at 9.15am, arrival at Akaroa at 11.30am. Departure from Akaroa is at 4pm, arrival in Christchurch at about 5.40pm.
The return fare is NZ$ 35.
Phone (03) 366 4556
Freephone (0800) 800 575
More Reviews (69)
- The annual French Fest in Akaroa
- See All The Bon Accord Bungy
- See All Visit the Lighthouse
- Sheep on the Road
Kakapo2's Related Pages
Akaroa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Magic World of Banks Peninsula and Akaroa"
- "Akaroa: New Zealand's early French settlement"
- "The blissfuly beautiful Banks Peninsula"
- "ATXtraveler goes to Akaroa"
- "Akaroa & Banks Peninsula"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Akaroa
- Hotels in Akaroa
- Transportation in Akaroa
- Nightlife in Akaroa
- Restaurants in Akaroa
- Shopping in Akaroa
- Warnings and Dangers in Akaroa
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kefar Nahum Hotels
- Cayo Caracoles Hotels
- Shidu Hotels
- State of Queensland
- Clifton Hotels
- At Ta'if
- Yogyakarta Special Region Transportation
- Airport - Connections and Airlines
- Ships / Ferries / Boats
- Anguilla Transportation
- Orchha Transportation
- Herzliya Transportation
- Szekesfehervar Transportation
- Province of Quezon Transportation
- Rental Car
- Sibu Transportation
- Driving a car
- Dunmore Town Transportation
Badges & Stats in Akaroa
- 72 Reviews
- 86 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (120)
Have you been to Akaroa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Akaroa
Photos in AkaroaSee All Photos (86)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 244 reviews, 606 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 124 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 93 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyttelton Intro, 65 reviews, 170 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- West Coast Intro, 68 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulm Intro, 55 reviews, 152 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canterbury Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 72 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bora-Bora Intro, 49 reviews, 102 photos, 7 travelogues