Bora-Bora Warnings Or Dangers Tips by Kakapo2 Top 5 Page for this destination

Bora-Bora Warnings and Dangers: 14 reviews and 10 photos

Take double care on Rubbish Day - Bora-Bora
Take double care on Rubbish Day

We were on Bora on rubbish collection day which was a Monday.

You see the orange truck in the background on this photo.

Once the truck overtakes you, then you overtake the truck, and in the end the truck must have turned around (or it was a different truck) and came from the opposite direction, and overtook other cyclists and people on scooters – who in return had to overtake the rubbish truck when it stopped...

• Written Jul 23, 2009
Will the coconut fall on your head? - Bora-Bora

Will the coconut fall on your head?

The Story about the Coconuts

Some people – including here on VT – tell you about dangers and crime in Polynesia that the biggest danger is to be hit by a falling coconut.

The warnings you get on site are different. I have also asked locals if they or their car has ever been hit by a coconut, and at least those said no. We have seen a coconut fall onto the road right in front of our car on Moorea, so I can well imagine that it does happen. We also saw quite some cars on Bora Bora – like on none of the other islands we visited – with damaged windscreens. They could surely have been hit by coconuts when the cars were parked on the roadside. But in this case I wonder if the coconuts also were to blame for the missing wheels of some of those cars…

I am sure property crime and burglaries do happen on Bora Bora, and I would not want to run into the guy we saw hanging around on those concrete constructions at Faanui Bay alone or at night, I can assure you. While most people were welcoming and friendly, there surely were some elements to be cautious of.

Who overtakes next? - Bora-Bora

Who overtakes next?

Crazy Drivers

When we cycled around the island, the dogs were not the only danger on the road. The other problem were absolutely mad motorists.

In once situation I already saw my husband dead in front of my inner eye, or at least badly injured. A tour bus was just going to overtake him when a SUV appeared from behind and started to overtake the bus – and all this on a narrow two lane road! Lucky hubby (and me!) the bus driver must have looked in the rear mirror a second time and braked and stayed behind my husband, and the SUV raced past the bike and the bus, and only then the bus overtook my husband.

This near-accident happened outside the big danger zone which are the five or six kilometres out of Vaitape in both directions. Especially to the south, between Vaitape and Matira, you encounter quite some traffic, as Matira is the major hotel and tourist area on the main island, so a lot of goods are transported, and mostly SUV’s commute back and forth. Many drivers overtake cyclists without giving it a thought, even if oncoming traffic is approaching. So be extremely cautious on this stretch of the road. “Normal” locals do not pose a real threat as most of them travel on scooters.

• Written Jul 21, 2009
Keep an eye on your belongings at the beach. - Bora-Bora

Keep an eye on your belongings at the beach.

Crime in Paradise

Newish travel guides warn of property crime occurring on Bora Bora.

Obviously young locals develop drug habits there as well, and steal from tourists to finance it.

So you should not leave your valuables unattended on a beach. If not possible otherwise, get into the water alternately, and do not leave jewellery, passport, money, etc. only in a drawer in your room. Lock it away. If there is no safe in your room, deposit the stuff in the hotel safe at the reception.

Should cyclists wear shin and calf protectors? - Bora-Bora

Should cyclists wear shin and calf protectors?

Dogs might chase you

Dogs run free everywhere on the islands, not only on Bora Bora. We just experienced the bad side of this easy going attitude here at the most extreme, as we were cycling, and obviously dogs do not like cyclists.

However, I have to say, not all dogs ran after us. Most kept on snoozing in the shade of trees. But sure, one really bad one is enough to scare the hell out of you, and one of these roaming dogs ran after hubby, barking loudly, and then turned towards me. I already started sweating, and wondered if it would be good enough to give the dog a blow with my foot.
But after running a hundred metres, the dog had run out of steam (or had lost interest) already. Perhaps they are no good runners because there are not a lot of cyclists they could chase on a regular base for a proper tourist scare training programme.

Unfortunately you never know which dogs are peaceful, so always be cautious. And if you cycle be sure you wear jogging shoes, so you would really be able to hit the dog with your foot.

And be prepared that there are dogs everywhere even if you do not see them. Once I got off the bike to take a photo of a beautiful view, and then got aware of one dog. But the growling came from a different direction. And there were four more dogs dozing in the grass under a short coconut palm. They were close to invisible in the shade. And suddenly I was surrounded by them. Whereas most dogs did not bother there was nearly always one more aggressive one that made you decide not to make another step in their direction, and in rare cases get back on your bike and leave immediately and forget about the view. The latter does not really matter on Bora Bora. There are so many spectacular views… Still it is annoying that dogs keep you from enjoying them – as you do not intend to steal the magic…

You might not spot it on this small picture - but there are already two more dogs waiting in the background...

• Updated Jul 21, 2009

Kakapo2

“Visit dream destinations but keep your eyes open”

Badges & Stats in Bora-Bora

Have you been to Bora-Bora?

Latest Activity in Bora-Bora