"Once a Cultural and Religious Centre" Raiatea by Kakapo2
Raiatea Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 190 photos
Raiatea was our first stop in French Polynesia, and we loved it. We travelled around on a scooter, and were nearly alone on the roads through the mountainous interior and along the coast with its turquoise blue waters. Although we had to suffer four hours of uncertainty on our cruise ship until we were allowed to go ashore, and everybody was rather frustrated, we even enjoyed this time, as we had fantastic views of outlying islands - and Bora Bora at the horizon.
Raiatea once was the cultural and religious centre of French Polynesia, until the royals shifted to Tahiti. You can still wander through old marae, the Polynesians' temples, including to most sacred one, named Taputapuatea.
We did not see many tourists, apart from a few passengers from our ship. So the island had a very authentic feeling, with its wild romantic natural beauty, the steep volcanoes in the centre, the blue bays and the lagoon. Ah, and it was so nice to speak and hear French again - with lovely local children.
Complete intro and more tips to come soon.
Kakapo2's Related Pages
Raiatea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Raiatea ... The Sacred Island"
- "Polynesia's "Party Central!""
- "Paradise on earth... Le paradis sur terre..."
- "Close to Tahiti but far from the crowds..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Raiatea
- Hotels in Raiatea
- Transportation in Raiatea
- Restaurants in Raiatea
- Shopping in Raiatea
- Warnings and Dangers in Raiatea
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Raiatea
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Raiatea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Raiatea
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 244 reviews, 606 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 124 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 93 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyttelton Intro, 65 reviews, 170 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- West Coast Intro, 68 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulm Intro, 55 reviews, 152 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canterbury Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 72 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bora-Bora Intro, 49 reviews, 102 photos, 7 travelogues