Auckland Off The Beaten Path Tips by Kakapo2 Top 5 Page for this destination
Auckland Off The Beaten Path: 86 reviews and 145 photos
The takahe, although very rare, is not shy at all.
Update 24 July 2008
The ferry company operating the trip to Tiritiri Matangi has changed (and if only the name...) since I wrote my tip: It is no more the Kawau Cat Ferry but 360 Discovery - and it now costs NZ$ 66. Contact details for 360 Discovery at the end of the tip.
Only one word is good enough to describe Tiritiri Matangi: Paradise! Once this little island in the Hauraki Gulf, only 30km north of Auckland, was destroyed by extensive farming, now it is a bird paradise, run by volunteers who replanted native vegetation. They also look after many endangered and common endemic and native birds.
The stars are the takahes. Those big flightless birds have been thought to be extinct for 50 years until they were found again in 1948. On Tiritiri M. you can easily imagine how this could happen. They are absolutely fearless and do not bother your company at all, they walk and graze a metre in front of you. That is the reason why they now have to live in protected areas and on predator-free islands like Tiritiri Matangi.
Other birds enjoy such perfect conditions as well. You will see red-crowned parakeets sitting on the stakes of flax, tuis, etc. Nowhere else in New Zealand can you readily walk amongst so many species. 78 different kinds of birds have been spotted on the island.
You can walk on your own in this open sanctuary. Take the ferry from Auckland (1:15h) - departure at 9am, Wednesday to Sunday only, return at 3.30pm. (From Boxing Day - 26 December - until mid January daily.) Sailings via Gulf Harbour (9.50am - 4pm).
This service ensures that there are only 150 visitors per day on the island. After an introduction by a volunteer at the wharf you can explore the island. Buy a map in Auckland or on the ferry (1 NZ$) or download it from the Tiritiri website, take something to eat and drink with you, then keep to the left (towards Hobbs Beach) while most people walk directly up to the lighthouse and a takahe enclosure. Take your time to sit on the benches in the forests - when you are still a lot more birds will fly around you. The fantails are the exception. As you know, they try to catch the insects that flee from you... ;-) The takahes spend their day in grassland.
Allow four to five hours for the walk. There are also short guided tours on offer. Accommodation in simple bunk rooms possible - but you have to bring your own sleeping bag.
Bookings with 360 Discovery are essential.
Freephone 0800 360 3472
Phone 09 424 5510
Fax 09 424 6093
To confirm sailing on the day phone 0800 326 824) after 7am.
Other Contact: www.360discovery.co.nz
More Reviews (38)
- See All Flying visitors from Australia
- See All Nice garden setting close to One Tree...
- See All Cheap, honest, satisfying, friendly
Kakapo2's Related Pages
Auckland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Auckland"
- "AUCKLAND - CITY OF SAILS"
- "Between Rainforest and Traffic Jam"
- "Auckland - City of Sails."
- "Auckland - City of Sails"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Auckland
- Hotels in Auckland
- Transportation in Auckland
- Nightlife in Auckland
- Restaurants in Auckland
- Shopping in Auckland
- Warnings and Dangers in Auckland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Auckland
- 39 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 197 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Auckland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Auckland
- updated a Auckland Travel Page "Between Rainforest and Traffic Jam"
- Posted in Travel Lyttelton Forum "Re: Lyttelton Custom House"
- Commented on one of Kakapo2's Auckland tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cheap - but you get what you pay for"
- Wrote a Review Flying visitors from Australia in Auckland Favorites
Photos in AucklandSee All Photos (66)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 244 reviews, 606 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 124 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 93 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyttelton Intro, 65 reviews, 170 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- West Coast Intro, 68 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulm Intro, 55 reviews, 152 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canterbury Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 72 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bora-Bora Intro, 49 reviews, 102 photos, 7 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (31)
- Queen Street & Downtown- 29 Reviews, 32 Photos
- Skytower Complex and Casino- 59 Reviews, 123 Photos
- Mt Eden- 18 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Auckland Museum and Domain- 42 Reviews, 93 Photos
- Devonport- 22 Reviews, 32 Photos
- Kelly Tarltons Underwater World- 18 Reviews, 33 Photos
- Auckland Zoo- 14 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Victoria Park Market- 9 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Tamaki Drive- 9 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Cornwall Park & One Tree Hill- 10 Reviews, 14 Photos
See All Auckland Things to Do