"A prime Ski and Hiking Destination" Methven by Kakapo2
Methven Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 47 photos
A guy named Robert Patton settled at the place which is now called Methven in 1869. He bought 500 acres of land at the junction of the West Coast Road and the Waimarama Road. He named his farm Methven after his hometown in Perthshire, Scotland. This later became the name of the new township at the foothills of Mt. Hutt in Mid Canterbury.
Robert Patton was involved in many community affairs. In 1880 he set up the “Commercial and Family Hotel” in the town centre, later known as Patton’s Hotel. Now it has been named the Blue Pub. You cannot miss it, thanks to its striking blue colour, sitting at the main square and intersection of the place.
Methven is not a very exciting place – but it becomes very, very busy in winter. It is one of the few big skiing centres in New Zealand, delivering all services and amenities for the Mt. Hutt skifield. The location is strategically fantastic, as it is only a one and half hours drive from Christchurch. On a clear day you can see the sea from the ski slopes. In summer, unfortunately, the access road is closed, so you cannot enjoy the views.
When you take the inland route from Christchurch to Geraldine/Lake Tekapo, named Scenic Route 72, you drive past this dominant mountain. But you could miss Methven, as it is a short detour from the highway. I admit, it would not be a great loss. Methven even looks a little strange with its historic buildings sitting in a super modernised tidy town with even stranger very modern street lamps. You would probably expect something a little more rustic and/or romantic, especially if you are used to ski resorts in the European Alps.
But Methven is a nice place to stay for the night, a great place for a farmstay, and a fabulous base for hiking and mountain biking. The places to start hiking are Mt. Somers and Staveley. You have a great choice of short walks, day walks, and multi-day walks - and that is why we mostly go to the area. In the beech forests you do not only have sandflies from time to time but also wonderful birdlife, with fantails, tomtits, and bellbirds lighting up even a rainy day with their song :-)
If you drive inland from Mt. Somers you get to the place of Edoras from the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Another reason to stay in Methven if you are not in a hurry.
Not to forget other great activities you can enjoy in and around Methven. One prime attraction is Hot Air Ballooning, with Methven hailed as one of the top spots in New Zealand for this airborne way of enjoying the scenery. Other things to do are golf (18 hole/72 par course at the Terrace Downs Resort plus another – more worldly – 18 hole country course), mountain biking, and hunting. The nearby Rakaia River is popular for salmon fishing and jetboating. The lakes of the area abound with rainbow and brown trout. (Check for the exact dates of the fishing season, Oct – Feb.)
We have a coffee or a meal in Methven from time to time, especially since my husband bought a motorbike, and this is a nice and not too long half-day trip and sitting in the sun.
The way from Christchurch to Methven via SH 1 and SH 77 is not very exciting. You drive past one million cows (ok, some less…) and a lot less sheep, absolutely flat farmland. The inland trip on SH 72 (Scenic Route 72) is lovely, as from Darfield you drive along the foothills of the Southern Alps. The Rakaia Gorge with its icy turquoise blue waters is a highlight, and then the road even gets slightly hilly, sheep dotted on the green pastures.
- Pros:A great base for hiking, Edoras, and skiing
- Cons:The town itself is not very exciting
- In a nutshell:I love the nearby beech forests with their birdlife
- If you want to wash your dirty laundry in public - go to Methven! No, really! As you will get your clothes dirty... more travel advice
If you want a little change from hanging out at the pubs after a long day of hiking or skiing and dinner, why not watch... more travel advice
Kakapo2's Related Pages
Methven Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Methven
- Hotels in Methven
- Transportation in Methven
- Nightlife in Methven
- Restaurants in Methven
- Shopping in Methven
- Warnings and Dangers in Methven
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Methven
- 34 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Methven?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Methven
Photos in MethvenSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 244 reviews, 606 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 124 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 93 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyttelton Intro, 65 reviews, 170 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- West Coast Intro, 68 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulm Intro, 55 reviews, 152 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canterbury Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 72 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bora-Bora Intro, 49 reviews, 102 photos, 7 travelogues