"A major attraction with minor appeal to me" Top 5 Page for this destination Waitomo Caves by Kakapo2
Waitomo Caves Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 210 photos
The Waitomo Caves are one of New Zealand's main tourist attractions - and the one of this list of must-see places I have been most underwhelmed.
Perhaps I have to distinguish between people who have never been in old caves and those who have visited such underground marvels in Europe where the thousands of years old stalactites and stalagmites take your breath away.
If you are one of the latter, the only reason to spend time and money at the Waitomo Caves are the truly fantastic glow worms. But again, I found the glow worm caves at Lake Te Anau in the South Island more impressive, as the caves were more interesting, and the boat trip into the part of the caves with high glow worm concentration was more appealing and longer as well.
I love to be positively surprised, and hoped so after a former guide telling me there is nothing more beautiful and spectacular and amazing in the world than the Waitomo Caves. But sorry to say, they have not done it for me.
If you still want to visit, make sure you go as early in the day as possible (or in the late afternoon) in order to avoid the bus loads of tourists arriving from Auckland before lunchtime.
A handy place to stay for the night is Te Kuiti which is twelve kilometres northwest of the Waitomo Caves.
The Maori word Waitomo means "water passing through a hole", with "wai" meaning water and "tomo" meaning a doline or sinkhole.
It is said the caves are probably more than two million years old - but, of course, this includes the entire process from the land being under the sea and the formation of the thick limestone layers which later cracked and eroded into rocks and caves.
The caves as you see them now should not be older than 12,000 years, which is the age of the caves at Lake Te Anau. This is young in geological terms.
Speaking about Te Anau, the tour down there in Fiordland takes nearly 2.5 hours while the tour of Glowworm Cave at Waitomo takes 40 minutes. The Te Anau experience costs NZ$ 67 including the boat trip across the lake, at Waitomo you pay NZ$ 46. To me, this is close to a rip-off.
I had much more enjoyed a visit to Binghöhle in Franconian Switzerland in Germany two months earlier. The admission was 3.50 Euro.
- Pros:Fantastic glow worms
- Cons:Not very impressive caves
- In a nutshell:Save your money for something else
The Waitomo Caves are the major drive of tourism in the Waitomo District, a nice green farmland of rolling hills and... more travel advice
The other two caves that can be visited are Ruakuri and Aranui Caves. On photos they surely look more impressive than... more travel advice
Kakapo2's Related Pages
Waitomo Caves Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A major attraction with minor appeal to me"
- "Waitomo Caves"
- "Discover Waitomo..."
- "Waitomo Caves"
- "Waitomo Cave"
- "glow-worms, caving and more"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Waitomo Caves
- Hotels in Waitomo Caves
- Restaurants in Waitomo Caves
- Warnings and Dangers in Waitomo Caves
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Waitomo Caves
- 19 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Waitomo Caves?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Waitomo Caves
Photos in Waitomo CavesSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 244 reviews, 606 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 124 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 93 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyttelton Intro, 65 reviews, 170 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- West Coast Intro, 68 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulm Intro, 55 reviews, 152 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canterbury Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 72 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bora-Bora Intro, 49 reviews, 102 photos, 7 travelogues