"Get Crazy in New Zealand's Fun Capital" Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown by Kakapo2
Queenstown Travel Guide: 647 reviews and 1,714 photos
A page about Queenstown can somehow never be finished, as there is so much to see and do, and there is so much more to explore than the typical tourist action. I will add more Queenstown tips from time to time. What's missing now, are my Glenorchy tips. I will post them in the near future, either on this page or - more probably - on a separate Glenorchy page.
The other day I met a lady tourist who told me that lately she had driven to Queenstown because everybody goes there. But she was so horrified by the hordes of tourists and thrill-seekers that she left without stopping.
I can understand her reaction to a certain extent because Queenstown is not like the New Zealand many tourists enjoy, the peace and serenity, loneliness and remoteness. You could also go to one of the crowded Austrian or Swiss ski resorts (which BTW feature much nicer houses and buildings), and you can roughly imagine how it is in the "Adventure Capital of the World". Crowded in summer with thrill-seekers and in winter with skiing enthusiasts. And always party.
BUT - not everything is bad because of that. Situated on the shores of spectacular Lake Wakatipu, along the rough river gorges of the Shotover and Kawarau rivers, surrounded by not less spectacular mountain ranges, Queenstown is just a magic place, and I enjoy every bit of its fantastic nature. It surely is the best place in New Zealand for exploring film location sites of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and you can visit a lot of those places on your own and do not necessarily have to go on a guided tour.
Not a lover of crowds and people who endlessly discuss which of the hundred adventures offered they have not experienced yet, I love the golden autumns in Queenstown and its surroundings. They have Indian summers which paint the valleys and hills in yellow, orange and red, because in this area you do not find a lot of native trees which are evergreen, instead you see nothing but exotic trees, especially the spectacular poplars and willows.
In autumn it is still not too cold for all the outdoor activities like jetboating, bungy jumping, river and 4WD safaris Queenstown is famous for, and it is even perfect for hiking (which is called "tramping" in New Zealand). And as there are less tourists it is easier to get on the boats. Just do not forget a beanie and warm clothes.
The other positive thing about being such a tourist magnet is that you have an incredible lot of restaurants, cafés and shops to choose from. But not many restaurants have the cosy atmosphere of Swiss and Austrian places, although some are really nice. The biggest choice is in Thai and Korean (but still no nice real Italian ice-cream ;-).
There is even a Minus 5 bar on the Boardwalk where you get warm clothes so you can bear the temperatures, and you pay nearly $40 for the cold atmosphere and one cold drink... I think I did not have to mention that Queenstown is not a cheap place ;-)
However: Accommodation can be relatively cheap if you do not book far ahead of your travel. Tourist numbers have dropped lately, so the big hotels offer fantastic deals. Before you book anything, have a look at Wotif (www.wotif.com).
When you are in Queenstown and find time between Bungy Jumping and Jetboating you should visit other magnificent places I have written about. The tips are on my Otago page.
Here are the direct links to those tips:
Wine Festivals and Tours
Free Phone (0800) 478 336 (NZ only)
Address: Destination Queenstown, PO Box 353, Queenstown
- Pros:Stunning scenery, spectacular views
- Cons:Too much noise, alcohol, action and tourists
- In a nutshell:The landscapes make up for the buzz
I booked this unit on www.wotif.com, so saved some dollars (not a reeeeeal lot though). We had a groundfloor unit with... more travel advice
- If you make a jetboat trip on the Shotover you cannot but notice this bridge. First you drive over it when coming... more travel advice
- See All Hell’s Gate and other Challenges on...
- See All No Insurance on Skippers Canyon Road
- See All Try your Luck with Gold Panning
- See All Two Ways to Get around in Queenstown by...
Kakapo2's Related Pages
Queenstown Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Get Crazy in New Zealand's Fun Capital"
- "QUEENSTOWN - One of The Leading Mountain resorts"
- "Queenstown - feel the adrenaline!"
- "A town fit for a Queen"
- "Bungy Jump"
- "Queenstown - the adrenaline capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Queenstown
- Hotels in Queenstown
- Transportation in Queenstown
- Nightlife in Queenstown
- Restaurants in Queenstown
- Shopping in Queenstown
- Warnings and Dangers in Queenstown
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Queenstown
- 63 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 56 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Queenstown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Queenstown
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 244 reviews, 606 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 124 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 93 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyttelton Intro, 65 reviews, 170 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- West Coast Intro, 68 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulm Intro, 55 reviews, 152 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canterbury Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 72 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bora-Bora Intro, 49 reviews, 102 photos, 7 travelogues