"Selamat Datang to Kuala Lumpur" Kuala Lumpur by Kakapo2
Kuala Lumpur Travel Guide: 5,923 reviews and 13,230 photos
I have wanted to travel to Malaysia for a long time but still have not really made it. The big holiday trips have become a little difficult since I have been living in New Zealand, as most years I fly back to Germany to visit my parents, relatives and friends, and on this occasion visit places in and around Germany. But I keep on planning - or at least dreaming - of my most important trip to Malaysia which would be climbing Mt. Kinabalu in Sabah, on the island of Borneo, saying hello to the orang-utans, and see the world's biggest flower, the rafflesia.
Anyway. To touch ground in Malaysia I once used Malaysia Airlines for my flights between New Zealand and Germany, and spent a day in Kuala Lumpur. And this short stopover became far more interesting than I had expected - because I changed my plans upon arrival at the airport.
I had planned to take the train into the city and then get around by taxi and bus. But in the arrival area taxi drivers were offering rides into the city, and we talked a bit, and soon I found out that I could hire a taxi driver for the whole day without breaking the bank. I think I paid about 60 Euro, including the enormous trips from the airport into the city centre and back, and we went outside the city to the Batu Caves and the grotto temple, and I could feed the monkeys sitting on the staircases.
And, of course, I saw and visited all the major points of interest I had noted beforehand, and many more. This taxi driver became my tour guide, told me of local customs, took me to temples, mansions, museums, sports stadiums, the Petronas Towers, of course, to KL Tower, to mosques and palaces, to shopping places. He translated for me, and took me to a place for lunch where I was the only tourist, and the whole meal for two cost 2 or 3 Euro.
To get to all these places on my own and learn so much about life in Kuala Lumpur would have taken me two or three days.
When browsing my page you can get an idea how much you can see in such limited time.
I would even have been able to visit more places but in the late afternoon I got extremely tired, and went back to the airport to have a snooze. And I was happy I always had my air-conditioned taxi nearby, so I could cool down on an incredibly hot and humid day.
- Pros:A surprising lot of space to breathe
- Cons:What hot humid air!
- In a nutshell:A hugely interesting melting pot of cultures and religions
- As Kuala Lumpur does not seem as overrun by tourists as other places in the world I know it is not that terribly... more travel advice
Although I have been at the Batu Caves on a normal day, let me give you a short description what the Thaipusam Festival... more travel advice
Kakapo2's Related Pages
Kuala Lumpur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kuala Lumpur"
- "Kuala Lumpur - My Home"
- "KL - where the rivers (and all things else) meet."
- "-=Latest & Happening In Town=-"
- "I grew up here!!!"
- "JALAN BUKIT BINTANG"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kuala Lumpur
- Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
- Transportation in Kuala Lumpur
- Nightlife in Kuala Lumpur
- Restaurants in Kuala Lumpur
- Shopping in Kuala Lumpur
- Warnings and Dangers in Kuala Lumpur
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kuala Lumpur
- 40 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (121)
Have you been to Kuala Lumpur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kuala Lumpur
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 244 reviews, 606 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 124 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 93 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyttelton Intro, 65 reviews, 170 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- West Coast Intro, 68 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulm Intro, 55 reviews, 152 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canterbury Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 72 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bora-Bora Intro, 49 reviews, 102 photos, 7 travelogues
Latest Kuala Lumpur hotel reviews
- Royale Bintang Kuala Lumpur
- 431 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- 109 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Nomad SuCasa All Suite Hotel
- 165 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Cititel Express
- 89 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 23, 2013
- Grand Seasons Hotel
- 327 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Furama Hotel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
- Seri Cempaka Service Suites
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 16, 2013
- My Hotel @ Sentral
- 163 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Cititel Mid Valley
- 251 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- The G City Club Hotel
- 172 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Kowloon Hotel
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- Pan Pacific Kuala Lumpur International Airport
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
- Number Eight Guesthouse
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 6, 2013
- Dynasty Hotel Kuala Lumpur
- 110 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2013