"Welcome to Ancient Egypt" Pyramids of Giza by dgines
Pyramids of Giza Travel Guide: 440 reviews and 1,432 photos
There are over 200 pyramids in Egypt, but the most famous are the Pyramids of Giza. When the pyramids were built on the barren Giza Plateau, the capital of Egypt was Memphis, some 13 miles to the south. (There isn't much evidence of this capital, which existed prior to the capital moving to Upper Egypt in Luxor. See my Memphis page.) The foundations of Cairo--a dozen miles east of the Pyramids--would not be laid for another 3,500 years. Today, the suburbs of Cairo have crept to within a few thousand feet of the famous ancient burial grounds.
Although his son Khafre's pyramid appears taller (due to the site's elevation), at 481 feet tall Pharaoh Khufu's pyramid, built in 2550 BC, is the tallest of the pyramids--ten feet taller from base to point than Khafre's.
Location, Location, Location If you're willing to put up with somewhat substandard amenities and a door that doesn't... more travel advice
dgines' Related Pages
Pyramids of Giza Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Giza and its Pyramids"
- "My Giza Page"
- "Trip to Ancient History... Delivered."
- "G I Z A"
- "The Pyramids were fabulous, of course!"
- "Pyramids of Gezah"
- "The Giza Pyramids and the Sphinx"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pyramids of Giza
- Hotels in Pyramids of Giza
- Transportation in Pyramids of Giza
- Nightlife in Pyramids of Giza
- Restaurants in Pyramids of Giza
- Shopping in Pyramids of Giza
- Warnings and Dangers in Pyramids of Giza
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pyramids of Giza
- 2 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Pyramids of Giza?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pyramids of Giza
Photos in Pyramids of GizaSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Okinawa Intro, 38 reviews, 2 photos
- San Diego 23 reviews, 8 photos
- Oahu Intro, 6 reviews, 18 photos
- Washington D.C. 8 reviews, 14 photos
- Daytona Beach Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Sharm El Sheikh 9 reviews, 5 photos
- Atlanta Intro, 10 reviews, 4 photos
- Kenya Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos
- Cairo Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos
- Sydney 5 reviews, 5 photos