"Gorillas in Virunga" Parc National de Virunga by carless

Parc National de Virunga Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 84 photos

To the arrival to Kampala, we gathered visas without problem , we had lunch and we continued with our itinerary to be able to arrive in Kabale to the dusk. That late, between Jessy and I taught to the girls to sing "Malaika", a tender and deep song in swahili that became famous through Bob Marley and that narrates the deep pain the enamored one that cannot have to loved his: - Malaika, nakupenda malaika. Malaika.... Jessy sang, I repeated and they imitated. Soon, they sang, I translated and Jessy laughed. And thus it passed afternoon until arriving at Kabale, a city of the south of Uganda, humid and leafy, that remembered us to a town of the American west of the films, although with that characteristic African touch. Houses of a single plant with porches, the earth streets and small positions of sale on street foot where one could find from a toothbrush to music happening through refreshments and Mandazi (buns). The girls lodged in the White horse inn, famous in their colonial time and we took a pension in the outskirts. I had been with them to have supper something that way and Jessy did not want to accompany to us, because to the poor man him it was made heavy have to listen to and not to understand nothing and that I had to translate everything to him. On the following day we continued the route towards Kisoro happening through Semuliki Forest, where we made a brief shutdown to visit my friend the king of the pigmeos. We found celebration in the heat of them and they invited to participate to us in her. Like always, they were smoking and/or chewing marijuana and they went a little passed, but they were very amiable and they received to us with the open arms. They even organized, like part of the celebration, a dance in our honor. After so pleasing visit, we continued to visit foot the diverse zones of the park. They had many desire to close by see it, because from the stop of the mountain they had been able to enjoy the wonderful Vista of the sea of trees, with natural sources and wells, g?isers and thermal waters that offer. We approached one of the thermal water sources, one of them sank in the mud and noticed the high temperature of the ground. He was precious, the steam, the frondosidad, the verdor and the diverse tonalities of rocks by the many minerals that composed them and that dissolved with the hot water. To our grief we continued much towards Kisoro that is just in the border with congo to the following morning to cross to foot the border in Djomba and to raise Virunga to contemplate gorilas. This was one of the prettiest stages, but simultaneously excellent of safari. We arrived finally at Kisoro, small population near the border with Za?re. We only found two types of lodging, one without light nor running water and other that really stinked out, so we were decided by first. We took the rooms and we decided in being to the 17 hours to give a return by the central streets of the town. In the evening we left to give a return by the town and took the van, Jessy had remained to rest. We gave returns, we bought pastes to merendar and we talked much. The night passed immediately and at the dawn we arrived at the border. Jessy swore to have seen the figure of gorila at the top of one of the buildings and it put fear to us in the body. It did not go to come with us. The program of the day was the one to cross the border on foot, to rent some means of transport until the foot of the mountain of Virunga, to raise the camping bases to enjoy trekking by the almost virgin weeds of that leafy forest and to observe the diverse families of gorilas who inhabited it. We crossed without misfortune and we began to walk after sealing visas in the customs. Finally a boy approached to me and he offered transport to us.

I decided with him the sum 16.000 franc, 700 pesetas Everything already was agreed, we raised the van and we went to our destiny, we happened through narrow highways and without paving, we saw plantations of marijuana, people walking and women returning from some hidden fresh water source between as much vegetation. When arriving, I gave the 16.000 him za?res and the boy watched to me been strange and he said to me that he had said 60,000 to me. I said to him that nor to speak and we discussed ourselves. In the end he did not accept anything, but he said to me challenging that already he would pay to him. I did not make the smaller case and I was myself mountain arrives. We crossed cultivated fields, green meadows and wooded zones and one of the crudest images of all the trip, we were with rwandeses refugees that they arrived with the house at hills, some presented/displayed wounds, others simply had cut an arm to them or a hand or a leg, to others took them in stretchers and the women maintained with protection to their children. It was a frightening vision that made us value the things of different way; silence between us reigned, did not make lack the words. When, finally, we arrived exhausted and removing the language to the camping it bases, we were whereupon the groups already had left and there was another visit to gorilas no that day. But as we had to return to Uganda that same afternoon, I resorted to the tactics, so rooted in those countries, of the bribe. I haggled with them and finally I obtained that they took to us. We again began to raise by the forest, accompanied a guide to us with a machete and another one with a gun and suddenly, without warning some, we gave the return to a great tree and there she was the first family of gorilas.

The impact was extraordinary, the magnificent vision and we were astonished before such samples at humanity on the part of the animals, because it seemed that we were observed them. Little by little, one of them approached to us and it touched, wanted the sun glasses to us, the cords of the shoes. After almost two hours between surprise and surprise, we returned to the camping and we ate. We spoke long and laying with the one in charge of the same one and told the history us of the place, the passage of Diane Fossey that way and everything what meant. It along with said that the previous day had died an Italian tourist of hands of the furtive hunters, three to us gorilas. The reduction was much more smooth and entertained, because we varied the route and we went field to traverse between several towns of agriculturists. All they watched to us with peculiar eyes and they saluted to us. He was close. We arrived at dusk at the border, Jessy was in the other side and I entered the customs to seal the passports. He was seated in front of the official, when I realized that to me eight surrounded metralletas and it retained documents and the boy of the van smiled at heart and said that he was going to pay. I did not have more remedy than to give the 60.000 him za?res that requested to me and other 60.000 for the officials of the border. I left angered and afraid, I said to them to the girls who gathered everything and we crossed the border on foot to where it was Jessy, I saluted to him and I went to seal the passports from entrance to Uganda. We returned to Kisoro and single after having supper I commented the happened thing to them.

• Intro Written Apr 7, 2006

Comments

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in Parc National de Virunga

Have you been to Parc National de Virunga?

Latest Activity in Parc National de Virunga