"Dela-where?" Top 5 Page for this destination Newark by Lhenne1
Newark Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 52 photos
I lived in this college town for 2 years. I worked as an English composition instructor at the University of Delaware until May 2007. Newark is the home of AVON (though soon to be closed) and the University of Delaware. The town is close to Wilmington and Philadelphia, and a short ride from Baltimore and D.C.
Despite all the Delaware jokes (Dela-who, Dela-what, Dela-where?), I love this little state and had a great time living here. Newark is northern DE and despite it's apparent close proximity, is quite different from it's southern DE neighbors.
The main campus is nicely landscaped with areas to relax, study or play a round of frisbee when the weather is nice. Busy all year long, you definitely don't feel lonely walking around here.
The library and many of the buildings are open to the public and contain museum collections and exhibitions periodically. The school reaches out to the community and has a good relationship with the local neighborhoods. So feel free to wander the pretty campus and see its sights.
The highlight of Newark, DE is Main Street. Referred to as ‘downtown Newark’ Main Street is only a few blocks long but filled with eclectic shops and eateries, along with the usual Starbucks and Panera Bread.
Independent bookstores, dollar junk stores and artsy shops are sprinkled along the main thoroughfare of the Street and during the school term it is constantly busy. So, from Seasons Pizza on one end, to the Deer Park Tavern on the other, Main Street is college town meets art hub. Enjoy!
- Pros:Cute, artsy feel
- Cons:College town = A lot of undergrads
- In a nutshell:Small college town near some big cities.
Grassroots is a very eclectic shop on Main Street in Newark. While its' sign says "handcrafts" the items inside look far... more travel advice
Klondike Kate's is on Main Street in Newark and occupies an old Victorian building. Kate's has been a tavern, a hotel... more travel advice
Lhenne1's Related Pages
Newark Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Newark, DE"
- "Newark Page: Where I grew up!"
- "My hometown"
- "Newark--Delaware's College Town"
- "Newark, Newark"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Newark
- Hotels in Newark
- Transportation in Newark
- Nightlife in Newark
- Restaurants in Newark
- Shopping in Newark
- Warnings and Dangers in Newark
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Newark
- 20 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Newark?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newark
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 72 reviews, 101 photos
- Florence Intro, 23 reviews, 36 photos
- Oahu Intro, 16 reviews, 35 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 15 reviews, 35 photos
- Rome Intro, 10 reviews, 24 photos
- Venice Intro, 13 reviews, 21 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newark Intro, 20 reviews, 8 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos
- Carmel-by-the-Sea Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos