"Davao: The Place Beyond the High Grounds" Top 5 Page for this destination Davao City by monina_c
Davao City Travel Guide: 537 reviews and 1,798 photos
Wikipedia on Davao:
"The name Davao came from the phonetic blending of the word of three Bagobo subgroups when referring to Davao River, the main waterway which empties itself into Davao Gulf near the city. The aboriginal Obos who inhabit the hinterlands of the region called the river, Davoh; the Clatta or Guiangans called it Duhwow, or Davau, and the Tagabawa Bagobos, Dabu.
To the Obos, the word davoh also means a place "beyond the high grounds", alluding to the settlements located at the mouth of Davao River which were surrounded by high rolling hills.
When asked where they were going, the usual reply is davoh, while pointing towards the direction of the town. Duhwow also refers to a trading settlement where they barter their forest goods in exchange for salt or other commodities. "
In these modern times, although forest goods are no longer used for barter and the city has sprawled well beyond the bounderies of the old settlement, Davao continues to be a thriving trading center.
But despite the urban sprawl and the development that marks Davao in the 21th century, there are still a lot of places in this vast city where people can take a breather and forget about the daily grind, places where we can just kick back our heels and relax completely.
It gives me a chance to relax and just roam around without the pressure of time hounding me. Usually, that is. The slower pace of Davao living drove my cousins nuts! The Davaoenos seem to move in an invisible field of molasses. :) No one rushes around... everybody seem to have learnt the lesson of taking it slow and savoring the moment.
This latest trip was made easier by friends from VT, most especially VT MEMBER DEBAY of Davao. Thanks Debbie, your help made my visit very special. VT tips and Davao Forum became the bases for my itinerary.
Despite all the advance planning something still gets left out... The lesson I learnt this trip:
DO CONFIRM YOUR SCHEDULES. DO NOT RELY ON THE INFO THAT "YOU NEED NOT MAKE RESERVATIONS" ON PLACES OF INTEREST, CALL AHEAD!!!
BTW, this postcard is available to whoever asks for it. Just e-mail me your address and it's on its way!
- Pros:A lot of fruits, cheap food, good beaches
- Cons:Places of interest are spaced to far apart
- In a nutshell:Laid-back, Lush and Luscious
It's a crazy festival week in Davao City every third week of August. For an entire week all the indigenous tribes in... more travel advice
I went to Zip City last Sunday and it was fun. The ticket costs P300 (P200 for the zip-lining & P100 consumable). The... more travel advice
monina_c's Related Pages
Davao City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mabuhay, Welcome to Davao City!"
- "Davao: The Place Beyond the High Grounds"
- "The world's largest city"
- "Davao City -Home Sweet Home"
- "Peaceful City"
- "MY HOME"
- "Madayaw Davao!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Davao City
- Hotels in Davao City
- Transportation in Davao City
- Nightlife in Davao City
- Restaurants in Davao City
- Shopping in Davao City
- Warnings and Dangers in Davao City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Davao City
- 19 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 153 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Davao City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Davao City
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davao City Intro, 19 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Princesa City Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bolinao Intro, 10 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Cagayan Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bontoc Intro, 12 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cagbalete Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Angkor Wat Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sariaya Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 6 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sagada Intro, 20 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue