Balanga Things to Do Tips by monina_c
Balanga Things to Do: 3 reviews and 10 photos
This is a sad little site which needed to be visited by people who tour Bataan. It is located on the back lot of a public elementary school in the center of the city. The location of the tableau is purported to be the location where on April 9 1942, Maj. Gen. Edward King met with Maj. Gen. Kameichiro Nagano to discuss the terms of surrender of the U.S. and Philippine forces which numbered 78,000.
The tableau itself is a 3-D reproduction of the famous picture taken during the negotiations. It is rumored that Maj. Gen. King's staff were asked if the troops, weakened by sickness, starvation and exhaustion, can last for 24 more hours. The promised support and reinforcement was 3-days away... The staff answered to the negative... this answer became the basis of Maj. Gen. King's decision. During the surrender King said that the troop is not surrendering but only him. He did it to save the lives of the remainder of his army. On a side note, it is debatable whether the man covering his face was doing it out of shame or if he was saddened by the events that transpired. Rumor has it that he disagreed with King's decision. :)
I hope that the school administrator will take better care of this historic marker which shows wear and tear and various desecrations of the inhabitants of the surrounding area.
Address: Basa Street, Talisay, Balanga City
Directions: Just get on a tricycle and ask to be taken to the Surrender Site Marker at the Balanga Elementary School.
Jumping in front of the BTC
It's worth your while to visit the Bataan Tourism Center for information and a glimpse of the arts and crafts of the province. The staff is very helpful and informative and always willing to share the wealth of information they have regarding their home province. Their enthusiasm shows how proud they are of their rich history and the new programs and projects that their local government have for the future.
Aside from the Information Section there is also a gallery, tourist shop and clean restrooms there. The lobby features furnitures and artworks made by residents of Bataan using indigenous materials. The garden is also a restful place where you can take a rest before tackling the rest of your Bataan itinerary.
Address: Roman Hwy., Bagong Silang, Balanga, Bataan
Other Contact: email@example.com
Phone: (047) 237-4785/4476
monina_c's Related Pages
Balanga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "City of Balanga, Bataan"
- "Disco Fever!"
- "Balanga City, Capital of Bataan Province"
- "The Capital City of Bataan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Balanga
- Hotels in Balanga
- Transportation in Balanga
- Restaurants in Balanga
- Shopping in Balanga
- Warnings and Dangers in Balanga
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kerrville Hotels
- Norra Kvill National Park Hotels
- Champex Hotels
- Whangarei Hotels
Badges & Stats in Balanga
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Balanga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Balanga
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davao City Intro, 19 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Princesa City Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bolinao Intro, 10 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Cagayan Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bontoc Intro, 12 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cagbalete Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Angkor Wat Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sariaya Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 6 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sagada Intro, 20 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue