"Monina's Hundr... erm... Bolinao Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Bolinao by monina_c
Bolinao Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 352 photos
When this trip to Pangasinan was in the planning stage, I thought that we will be dropping by Bolinao and then go on to Hundred Islands to island hop, swim and snorkel the whole weekend. NOPE! That didn't happen!
We spent the whole weekend in Bolinao, Pangasinan, a small town on the western-most tip of the Province. It's got the South China Sea on one side, Lingayen Gulf on the other and the Kakiputan Channel cutting across to separate Santiago Island from the mainland.
As a defense to boredom (that's what I feared) I brought along some books to while away the down time. Hehehe! I never did get a chance to finish even one chapter the whole weekend! Well, of course, it didn't hurt that we had the insider knowledge of our hosts, Aline and Allan born and bred in Bolinao, going for us, thus, very little time was wasted in organizing ourselves and getting around the town.
From the Official Pangasinan website:
Originally, Bolinao was a settlement composed of a little over a hundred families under Captain Pedro Lombi, established in 1575 at a point called Binabalian, on the northern coast of Santiago Island. The rampant attacks and raids of Moro pirates urged Capitan Lombi to transfer the town-site to the mainland and accordingly, with the aid of Fr. Geronimo de Casro, he finally founded the town in 1596 near Libsong where a clear spring of about two meters in diameter kept lumping.
By this spring grew a "boli-bolinao" tree of the molave family with luxuriant foliage from which was derived the present name of the town. Under this tree the affairs of the town were administered while stone walls were piled nearby as corner-stone of the Roman Catholic Church which was finally completed in 1609, thirteen years after the transfer of the town site.
There was so much to do and so much to see in this small coastal town.
> Island hopping? Check!
> Swimming and Snorkelling? Check!
> Caving? Check!
> Food trip? Check! Check! Check! :D
MUST DO ON THE NEXT TRIP TO BOLINAO:
> Take a dip in the Enchanted Cave
> Balingasay River cruise
(Side note: B. R. is recognized by an international body as one of the cleanest rivers in Luzon)
> Check out the other lighthouse
> Visit the Bolinao Museum
> Watch a boat race
The best part of the whole trip was getting to know your travel companions better. We found out things that we never knew about members of the group and blew away the misconceptions we harbored about each other. I highly recommend a road trip to really get to know people that you deal with!
Simple fare made special because it is fresh! I had a good meal in Sungayan! It was great to eat while gazing at the... more travel advice
Balingasay River is reputed to be the cleanest river in the Region so it is really great to be able to explore a part of... more travel advice
monina_c's Related Pages
Bolinao Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Monina's Hundr... erm... Bolinao Page"
- "Quick Family Trip To Bolinao"
- "Our Very Own Bolinao"
- "Discovering Bolinao"
- "WOW Bolinao"
- "Our Bolinao Adventure"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bolinao
- Hotels in Bolinao
- Transportation in Bolinao
- Nightlife in Bolinao
- Restaurants in Bolinao
- Shopping in Bolinao
- Warnings and Dangers in Bolinao
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bolinao
- 10 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Bolinao?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bolinao
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davao City Intro, 19 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Princesa City Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bolinao Intro, 10 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Cagayan Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bontoc Intro, 12 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Angkor Wat Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cagbalete Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sariaya Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 6 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sagada Intro, 20 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue