"I came for the Mountain" Calauan by monina_c
Calauan Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 39 photos
It's actually a little higher than a hill being only 760+ MSL. A good day hike destination for people from Manila. Mt. Kalisungan has many names, among them, Mt. Calauan or Mt. Nagcarlan because it lies in the borders of two towns. Then still, others call it Mt. Lamot because it is in Brgy. Lamot.
Historically, Mt. Kalisungan was considered to be the site of the Japanese's last stand in Laguna Province towards the end of the Second World War. Nowadays, it is a popular local destination during Holy Week. In fact, you will pass by a series of wooden crosses as you climb up its slope. The peak of the mountain is dominated by a wooden cross festooned with colorful ribbons presumably left behind by hikers.
- Talim island Mt. Tagapo
- Jalajala peninsula edging into Laguna Lake
- Mt. Sembrano
- facing east, Caliraya
- peak view: seven lakes of San Pablo, flanked by Mt. Cristobal & Mt. Banahaw.
- Mt. Makiling, to the west
Hiking up to the peak of Mt. Kalisungan is very interesting. You will pass by a lot of subsistence farms and coconut plantations. Farmers built little day huts where they can take shelter during the hottest part of the day or during a downpour. We passed by a coconut farmer who sold us some young coconuts. His son climbed up the trees and cut down the nuts as we called out how many more extra we needed :-) He made us little spoons made from the husk of the young coconuts so we can scoop out the flesh.
- Pros:Great views for a day trip
monina_c's Related Pages
Calauan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Favorite Stopping Point for Going to Santa Cruz"
- "I came for the Mountain"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Calauan
- 0 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Calauan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Calauan
Photos in CalauanSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davao City Intro, 19 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Princesa City Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bolinao Intro, 10 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Cagayan Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bontoc Intro, 12 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Angkor Wat Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cagbalete Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sariaya Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 6 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sagada Intro, 20 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue