"Another Life Dream Fulfilled" Donsol by monina_c
Donsol Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 404 photos
:) :D Julie Andrews was rumored to have parodied her famous song on her 69th birthday. I don't care if its just one of those urban legends. I loved it and I'm sharing it with you :
Back pains, confused brains, and no fear of sinnin',
Thin bones and fractures and hair that is thinnin',
And we won't mention our short shrunken frames,
When we remember our favorite things.
When the joints ache,
when the hips break,
When the eyes grow dim,
Then I remember the great life I've had,
And then I don't feel so bad.
:) March 22, 2009 is going to be one of my "favorite things". It is the day when i finally got to fulfill one of the items in my "Must Dos Before I Die" list. It is something that will make my 44th birthday special.
Butandings (aka whale sharks, Rhincodon typus) are fishes that grow up to about 15 ft. to 40 ft. in length. They eat mainly fish and krill. The town of Donsol in Sorsogon have been blessed to be the site where these gentle giants congregate between the months of February to May (peak) and around October and November each year. Its yearly migration to this otherwise sleepy fishing town has made Donsol a mecca for nature lovers who are out to experience the ultimate thrill!
A group of VT friends and I usually take the plane to Legaspi on a Saturday to go around Legaspi, Tabaco and on to Donsol for the ultimate chapter of our travel adventure, Whale shark (Butanding) interaction. In the morning of Sunday, we troop to the lecture hall of the Donsol Butanding Interaction Center ( I forgot the proper name of the center, but you get the idea) early in the morning.... The whole pre-departure process takes about 30minutes. Pay for the boat and the registration, watch the mini-film showing about the whole butanding experience (what to do and where to place ourselves while interacting with these gentle giants).
After the whole rigmarole of filling up the forms, paying the fee, the center staff hands over the voucher/receipt and a number (which one hands over to the BIO later). After making sure that you've taken in the video, the staff then point out to the staging area where the group's designated Butanding Interaction Officer (BIO) is already waiting.
The film showing and all the stories I heard about the whole encounter pales in comparison to the actual experience. It brings home the truth that one cannot understand/appreciate an event/happening unless she/he experiences it him/herself.
Three years on, and it's already 2011, and I still haven't tired of going back to Donsol to swim with these beautiful creatures. I guess I will do it over and over again whenever opportunity opens up to me.
Visitors must register with the Donsol Tourism Office located adjacent to Vitton Resort. If your group is small or you are alone, just tell the tourism officer and they will try and help you get someone to share the cost of the boat with you. Each boat can accommodate up to 7 persons. They do not allow the use of SCUBA equipment during the encounter but they do have a shack where you can rent snorkel equipment for P300/set.
After the lecture/mini-film showing, we collected our snorkeling gear and took our designated boat. We sailed about 15 minutes out to sea with our spotter perched on top of the boat keeping a sharp eye for a sight of butanding. While we waited with beating hearts and weak knees for the signal to jump overboard, most of us tried to imagine the encounter we were about to have and trying to keep in mind the reminders of our BIOMAN. :)
Cess and Ed waiting for the signal to jump!
:) One thing to remember is that it is your boat crew's expertise that makes the experience a success, so please cooperate with them fully. From experience, their sharp eyes and years of sailing/fishing gave them the skill to time when the creature will arrive in your area down to the exact minute! So when they say JUMP INTO THE WATER! Just do it!!! Do not hesitate or dawdle! Every second you are in the water is precious moment so do not waste your time. :) Take your courage in hand and jump in for the experience of a lifetime!
It is important to remember that the butandings are the master of the encounter. It is the lookout of the humans to keep the path unempeded for these sea creatures. We must not disturb nor cause any undue stress to them. So keeping proper distance is a must.
Below is the Code of Conduct by which every swimmer must adhere to to the letter! Charing!!!
1. Do not touch or ride the Whale Shark.
2. Do not restrict the movement of the Whale Shark, or impede its natural path.
3. Maintain a distance of 3 meters from the head or body of the Whale Shark, and 4 meters from its tail.
4. Do not use flash photography.
5. Do not use SCUBA gear, scooters, jet skis or any other motorized underwater propulsion machines.
6. A maximum of six (6) swimmers per Whale Shark is allowed, and only one (1) boat per Whale Shark.
For further information please read: Sorsogon Tourism
- Pros:Everything is perfect!
- Cons:Should have stayed longer
- In a nutshell:The Donsol experience is a MUST for every traveler to the Philippines
The Woodlands is adjacent and is owned by the same company that runs the Vitton. it is about 5-10 minutes leisurely walk... more travel advice
monina_c's Related Pages
Donsol Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Donsol is Butanding"
- "DONSOL, HOME OF THE WHALESHARK"
- "Go for the Whale Sharks, Leave with a lot more"
- "Donsol:Swimming with the whale sharks"
- "Swimming with Whale Sharks in Donsol"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Donsol
- Hotels in Donsol
- Transportation in Donsol
- Nightlife in Donsol
- Restaurants in Donsol
- Shopping in Donsol
- Warnings and Dangers in Donsol
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Donsol
- 2 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Donsol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Donsol
Photos in DonsolSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davao City Intro, 19 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Princesa City Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bolinao Intro, 10 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Cagayan Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bontoc Intro, 12 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cagbalete Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Angkor Wat Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sariaya Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 6 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sagada Intro, 20 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (106)
Latest Donsol hotel reviews
- Vitton Beach Resort
- 78 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 3, 2013