"Morong, Bataan" Morong by monina_c
Morong Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 190 photos
This little hatchling eagerly took off to the direction of the surf as soon as i let go of it on the edge of the sands in Morong. It was all I could do not to help it along. The center staff told us that the direction of their home beach and how to go back there is recorded in the tiny magnetic sacs in their brains. These first steps they took on their long, danger-filled journey to adulthood will enable them to recognize the beach where they were spawned when it is their turn to lay their eggs.
I was part of a group that visited the Pawikan Center in Morong, Bataan last Saturday, February 12, 2011. It was a heartbreaking realization of how we as a species have systematically almost wiped out another by sheer greed and carelessness. The center staff who talked with us said that out of the 45,000 sea turtle hatchlings that they released only 1% survive to adulthood. The conservation center in Morong, Bataan is a non-profit organization manned by volunteers who don't receive any form of remuneration from the government. They themselves used to hunt and kill these creatures for food and profit... until they realized that what they are doing is jeopardizing the whole species. They made the decision to make the rescue, conservation and, for want of a better word, propagation of this species their life's work!
To be a part of trying to reverse the trend of extinction of these beautiful creatures is very important and we have to remind ourselves everyday that we should not contribute to the destruction of the pawikan by buying stuff made out of their shells or eating their flesh and eggs with the mistaken notion that it will enhance our virility!
The beach in Morong, Bataan is a good place to watch the sunset. The long stretch of the beach is quiet and conducive to... more travel advice
I was part of a group that visited the Pawikan Conservation Center in Morong, Bataan and it was a mixed experience. For... more travel advice
monina_c's Related Pages
Morong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Morong, Bataan"
- "Morong.... beautiful beaches, mountain stretches."
- "Small But Progressive Town of Morong"
- "Gem of Bataan Province"
- "MOrong... sorrounded with waters!!!"
- "Morong Expedition"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Morong
- Hotels in Morong
- Transportation in Morong
- Restaurants in Morong
- Shopping in Morong
- Warnings and Dangers in Morong
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Morong
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Morong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Morong
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davao City Intro, 19 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Princesa City Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bolinao Intro, 10 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Cagayan Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bontoc Intro, 12 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cagbalete Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Angkor Wat Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sariaya Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 6 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sagada Intro, 20 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue