"Pila, Laguna" Pila by monina_c
Pila Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 33 photos
Pila, Laguna is readily accesible by car from Manila. If you ae planning to see Rizal's house in Calamba, it is easy enough to drive on and go explore this little gem of history.
When I first got out of the car, and stepped into the shadow of one of the tall trees lining the plaza in front of Pila Church, it felt like I stepped back in time. Wherever I looked my eyes are met with the sight of spanish colonial houses which are still being used by the residents of Pila. This quiet little town boasts of a rich heritage... The first Philippine dictionary was printed there... Tomas Pinpin established a printing press in Pila and the Franciscans established a rest home for sick missionaries there in 1618.
I had the chance to visit the town's museum which contains the finds of an excavation in the town. The displayed artifacts rival that of any museum in any town of the same size. It is even better maintained than some big city museum I can mention.
The people are very accommodating and are willing to regale a visitor with their local history. I tried to get into the house in the photo above but it turns out that it is a private residence and that it's off limits to the public. There are two houses that will accept visitors but appointments should be made in advance through the Pila Museum Office.
- Pros:Full of History
- Cons:No ATMs
monina_c's Related Pages
Pila Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pila, Heritage Town of Laguna"
- "Little Known Town Of Pila"
- "Pila, Laguna"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pila
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Pila?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pila
Photos in PilaSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davao City Intro, 19 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Princesa City Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bolinao Intro, 10 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Cagayan Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bontoc Intro, 12 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cagbalete Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Angkor Wat Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sariaya Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 6 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sagada Intro, 20 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue