"My hometown" Sariaya by monina_c
Sariaya Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 44 photos
Polka, animated by Collado Hernandez
I consider this my hometown since my dad built his house here after his retirement in late 90's. I go home to Sariaya most weekends that i don't have travel or appointments in Manila where I spend my workdays.
Sariaya is an old town. There's a lot of colonial architecture and since it is situated near the sea, it is a popular summer destination for locals.
This is the street where I live. Almost everyone knows everyone and consequently, everybody else's business. It makes for a certain degree of comfort, knowing that in case of emergency, neighbors will be there to help you.
The picture shows some neighbors preparing for the "Paagaw" (translated loosely this means "snatch") during the barrio fiesta. Each family cuts a length of bamboo which the locals call "bagakay", and hang candies, toys, school supplies, etc. in its branches and puts it up in front of their house. After the late afternoon procession, the bagakay will be let down slowly so the kids can snatch all the goodies that they want. Mondo fun for the kids!
Sariaya is a predominantly Roman Catholic. It's inhabitants are deeply religious and participate actively in the different church activities. Its church is deemed to be one of the oldest in the province and is always included in the Visita Iglesia during the Lenten Season.
If you want to know more about how religion has added color to the life of my townfolks, please check:
Flores de Maria
Mystical Mt. Banahaw
Use of plants and herbs as "medicine"
- Pros:Good roads, good food, nice people
- Cons:Traffic on the SLEX and Maharlika H-way!
The Municipal Agriculturist's Office of Sariaya is keen on developing the organic farming potential in the town so they... more travel advice
Villamater's Bakery is an institution in Sariaya. It is a small family-run bakery . They are best known for their broas... more travel advice
monina_c's Related Pages
Sariaya Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Sariaya
- Transportation in Sariaya
- Restaurants in Sariaya
- Shopping in Sariaya
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sariaya
- 8 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 38 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Sariaya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sariaya
- Posted in Travel Basco Forum "Re: Should i book accomodations..."
- Commented on one of monina_c's Sariaya travel pages
- Wrote a Review DLTB: "Newest Kid" on the transport block in Sariaya Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Organic Farmer's Market"
- updated a Sariaya Travelogue "Plants, Herbs, Flowers as Medicine in my Hometown"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davao City Intro, 19 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Princesa City Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bolinao Intro, 10 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Cagayan Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bontoc Intro, 12 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cagbalete Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Angkor Wat Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sariaya Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 6 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sagada Intro, 20 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue