"Bundi - A Jewel" Bundi by monina_c
Bundi Travel Guide: 74 reviews and 211 photos
Bundi was supposed to be just a stop to break the long drive between Jaipur and Udaipur passing through a part of Chitorrgarh (sp?) but it turned out to be one of my favorite parts of the entire India Trip.
Bundi is a small city compared to the better known Jaipur and Udaipur with just over 100T residents. It's also known as the city of stepwells as the Queen Mother of Bundi built numerous wells around the city for the poorer of her people. Traces of their magnificence can still be seen if you visit the public wells today.
Bundi is also known as the "blue city" -- you can see why in the picture above. Well, our guide Javind is fond of saying that everything that happens has a logical explanation and according to him the Blue houses of Bundi is traditionally painted that way to cover the unsightly moldy growth that comes with the monsoon. Now whether that is the true reason... is still under consideration :)
Why do i like Bundi so much? It's because of the following reasons:
1. It is less crowded
2. People are friendlier
3. Our guide really made us see how it must have been like to be there during its heyday
4. The blue houses
5. The haveli we stayed at
6. The Bundi Palace
7. It is less crowded
8. Javind Jain
9. lesser number of tourists
10. The two dead things
11. The rooftop garden
12. The art-work in the palace -- works of artists in what they call "Bundi School"
13. The friendly caretakers in Bundi palace
14. Sunset over the city as seen on the rooftop garden
15. did i already say it's less crowded?
If you are looking for a quiet place to spend a few days during your travel in India, Bundi is worth visiting.
I wish we could have stayed longer...
- Pros:Less crowded, beautiful, relaxing
- Cons:Not as developed -- which is actually a good thing :)
- In a nutshell:I would love to go back to Bundi and stay longer!
Be careful when you negotiate the path leading up and down Bundi Palace. Parts of the path is steep and the ancient... more travel advice
The Rani Jiki Barol Stepwell is considered to be the most beautiful of the 32 stepwells built by the Queen Mother of... more travel advice
monina_c's Related Pages
Bundi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Hidden Gem of Rajasthan"
- "Medieval Magic of Bundi"
- "The work of goblins"
- "Bundi - A Jewel"
- "Bundi:Beautiful city of Rajasthan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bundi
- Hotels in Bundi
- Transportation in Bundi
- Shopping in Bundi
- Warnings and Dangers in Bundi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bundi
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Bundi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bundi
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davao City Intro, 19 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Princesa City Intro, 24 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bolinao Intro, 10 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Cagayan Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bontoc Intro, 12 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cagbalete Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Angkor Wat Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sariaya Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos, 6 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sagada Intro, 20 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue