Monterey Things to Do Tips by squidly2 Top 5 Page for this destination
Monterey Things to Do: 312 reviews and 712 photos
The Taste of Monterey is hidden in the back of the building in this pic (ocean side). Once you find it on the 2nd floor (tehre are signs leading you to it), you'll be amazed by the view. Behind the tasting bar are huge picture windows looking out on the bay. The staff is super-friendly and knowledgable.
The tastings are usually about 8 local wines that they choose, for $5 a person. But you get a $5 voucher towards a bottle of wine. Many bottles there are $10-$15. They change the list of wines every Friday.
And here's the real bargain: They'll also give you a list of local restaraunts that don't charge a corkage fee if you bring in a wine from their shop. So for as little as about $12, your whoe group can share a bottle of wine over dinner!
Address: 700 Cannery Row
Directions: Inside Monterey Cannining Co, upstairs towards ocean
For $5 off per person, see the link below. It ends up costing around $25 per person.
What to bring: warm clothes, snacks (they sold granola bars, hot drinks, and microwave popcorn).
Details of my last trip: Leaving the wharf area we saw the usual otters and sea lions nearshore. We headed up to Moss Landing and there were 3 humpbacks hanging out in the canyon area. We were fairly close and everyone got a good view. They stayed in the area for over 30 minutes.
There are also whale watching tours out of Moss Landing, which could be a good option - for us, that's where the whales ended up being (shorter transit, presumably more time on station).
Address: End of fisherman's wharf
Phone: (800) 251-7440
Many times there are sea lions actaully piled on top of each other at the end of "The Coast Guard Pier". There is actually a fence built there, so it is safe to walk out.
Didn't see any there? Walk along the "Recreation Trail" north to Fisherman's wharf, and look out on the rocks. There's usually at least a couple out of the water snoozing.
Directions: To get there, use Mapquest for 100 Foam St -- it's in that vicinity. There is parking very close at San Carlos Beach (unless it's a weekend morning and the scuba divers have taken them all!!)
This place is wonderful - my husband and I (no kids) are members and go at least once a month.
1) If there is any flexibility in your plans, go on a weekday. It may still be crowded, but the line goes fast.
2) The event not-to-be-missed is the feeding in the kelp tank, the schedule is currently 11:30, 4:00.
If it is a crowded day, get a place to sit/stand early, and relax while watching the kelp sway in the waves...
Address: 886 Cannery Row
Directions: Cannery Row area
Phone: (831) 648-4800
More Reviews (12)
squidly2's Related Pages
Monterey Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Watching the Sunset in Monterey..."
- "City by the Sea"
- "Monterey - Beginning of the U.S. tour"
- "Monterey and Its Beautiful Big Sur Country"
- "Life's a Kelp Forest..."
- "First Capitol of California"
- "Monterey Magic!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monterey
- Hotels in Monterey
- Transportation in Monterey
- Nightlife in Monterey
- Restaurants in Monterey
- Shopping in Monterey
- Warnings and Dangers in Monterey
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monterey
- 16 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Monterey?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monterey
Photos in MontereySee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Intro, 16 reviews, 6 photos
- San Diego 2 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yokosuka 2 reviews, 4 photos
- South Mission Beach 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Avalon 3 reviews, 2 photos
- Hood River 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Crawfordsville 5 reviews
- South Korea Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Sydney Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Big Sur Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
No friends yet.
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
- 17 Mile Drive- 48 Reviews, 110 Photos
- Monterey Bay Aquarium- 57 Reviews, 108 Photos
- Fisherman's Wharf- 23 Reviews, 60 Photos
- Cannery Row- 23 Reviews, 61 Photos
- Downtown- 14 Reviews, 41 Photos
- Whale Watching- 7 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Carmel- 11 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Big Sur- 8 Reviews, 17 Photos
- California Missions- 6 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Maritime Museum- 4 Reviews, 5 Photos
See All Monterey Things to Do