"Siem Reap" Khett Siem Reab by Cathy&Gary
Khett Siem Reab Travel Guide: 4,360 reviews and 12,803 photos
Siem Reap is a small French colonial style town situated on the banks of the Siem Reap river about 7 kilometers from the airport. Approximately 6 kilometers from town are the ruins of the ancient city of Angkor, the capital of the Khmer kingdom from 802 until 1295 A.D and one of the world's great marvels.
The "City of Kings," Angkor consists of some of the largest religious monuments ever constructed. Unknown to the world until French naturalist Henri Mouhot literally stumbled onto it in 1861, the area of Angkor existed for centuries only as a myth, its exact location in the Cambodian jungle unknown.
After Mouhot in 1861, archaeologists flocked here, only to be foiled by years of conflict that left the temples in the hands of the Khmer Rouge. Many temples were damaged and pillaged.
From the late 1990s tourists were the next invaders.
However you can still find those quiet moments amongst these amazing man made wonders.
For lots more info on our trips to Cambodia have a look at my link below:
We have been to Siem Reap quite a few times now and usually stay for one week.
Gary's first visit was back in 1992 and he was certainly in for a shock as things had definitely changed since then.
We always use the same tuk tuk driver when we visit and his name is Marom Hem, there is a separate page on him with his contact details.
Many months before our first trip to Siem Reap I had been reading about Marom Hem on the Tales of Asia site. All the... more travel advice
Wat Preah Inkosei was built on the site of an early Angkorian Hindu Temple and there are still 2 temple ruins in good... more travel advice
- See All Chan Rah II Restaurant
- See All Milk Formula Scam!!
- See All City River Hotel
- See All Important Links & Contacts
- See All Water Festival - Bonn Om Took
Cathy&Gary's Related Pages
Khett Siem Reab Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Diva's Guide to Angkor"
- "Siem Reap"
- "Keeweechic's Siem Reap"
- "Amazing Ankor Wat"
- "Los templos de Angkor- Angkor temples"
- "Old World Charm of Siem Reap"
- "In Angkor and around"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Khett Siem Reab
- Hotels in Khett Siem Reab
- Transportation in Khett Siem Reab
- Nightlife in Khett Siem Reab
- Restaurants in Khett Siem Reab
- Shopping in Khett Siem Reab
- Warnings and Dangers in Khett Siem Reab
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Khett Siem Reab
- 68 Reviews
- 314 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Khett Siem Reab?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Khett Siem Reab
- Uploaded a Photo to "Marom Hem"
- Wrote a Review Marom Hem - Fantastic tuk tuk driver in Khett Siem Reab Things to Do
- Commented on one of Cathy&Gary's Khett Siem Reab tips
- Posted in Travel Phuket Forum "Re: Local transport phuket"
- updated a Khett Siem Reab Travelogue "Transport - Marom Hem - Tuk-Tuk Driver"
Photos in Khett Siem ReabSee All Photos (314)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phuket Intro, 263 reviews, 1186 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 87 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 68 reviews, 313 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phnom Penh Intro, 76 reviews, 291 photos, 5 travelogues
- Krabi Intro, 30 reviews, 153 photos
- Northeastern Thailand Intro, 27 reviews, 153 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ko Lanta Yai Intro, 21 reviews, 106 photos
- Kuching Intro, 17 reviews, 88 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos